This was a super cute addition to B’s gallery wall, and was so easy to make!
Pottery Barn Teen’s edition is adorable, and I thought it was such a good idea, but it was way overpriced, and a whole lot bigger than I was looking for, as I had limited wall space to work with.
I made my version using two 5×7″ frames. Using a graphic image of a blue morpho butterfly, I enlarged the image in MS Paint to that of 10 x 7. I then cropped out half of the image, copied the cropped image, pasted the copy into a new ms paint document and then flipped the image horizontally. I added a 1″ border around the butterfly image, and printed out on quality paper, framed them, hung them, and we were done!
The past few years have seen a pretty big shake up in room ownership in our home. Last year, my oldest baby flew the coop for college and got his own apartment. Recently, my oldest baby girl flew away as well. My tween girls, who’ve been sharing a room for the past few years, barely waited for the bodies to cool, and couldn’t get the furniture out fast enough before they were claiming their own rooms. It was a sad time for the mama (at least until the decorating bug kicked in!), what with all of the shake ups, but it was such an exciting time for the girls. The last time we’d decorated their shared room, they were 4 and 5 – at 8 and 9, it was time for something a little more funky and grown-up. While K opted for a “Paris, fashion” themed room, B requested a “music, zebra” themed room – with a sunburst mirror – she was very emphatic – “I REALLY want a sunburst mirror.. Oh, I REALLY want a shoe chair – in Zebra Print.” We ix nae-ed (sp?) the chair but decided the mirror could be a really fun accessory for her new room.
I needn’t say my project was on a budget… but I said it anyway. I didn’t want to pay an arm and a leg for this mirror, given that it would be acting as an accent for the room, which meant that making it was probably my best option.
Even after much searching on Pinterest, I wasn’t able to find an example that would fit my needs. I decided to combine two different mirrors that I did find – this lovely bamboo mirror, which was exactly the shape I was going for, and this recycled paper one, which had the other elements I was looking for – cheap and readily available materials. We were off! Basically, I followed the tutorial found here, with a few tweaks.
For this project I used:
An old (fat) In Style magazine
A base of some kind – I used the cover of a scrapbook paper book 12×12
A small round mirror (mine was 12″)
A wooden embroidery hoop, matching the size of the mirror
Round wood beads
A hot glue gun
Spray paint in your choice of finish
Step 1: Carefully tear out the pages from your book or magazine, and roll them in to cones. I did this by wrapping my page around a long handled wooden spoon as you’ll see below. I then used a spot of hot glue on the finishing corner to hold the page in a cone shape.
Step 2: Glue your mirror to the base. Then, glue your embroidery hoop to your mirror – I did NOT do this and wish I had, so, go ahead and add the hoop in now. This gives you something to “butt” up against and makes placement easy-peasy.
Step 3: Begin gluing your paper cones on to your base, ensuring you place the tip of the cone as close to the embroidery hoop as possible. Continue adding cones until you have covered the entire base.
Step 4: Add the beads. I found the beads just finished everything off nicely, and really changed the look of the mirror. I used about 1/2″ round, inexpensive wooden craft beads, attached by hot glue, and placed them on the edge of the embroidery hoop. I found the beads in the kid’s craft area at Walmart in a tub that looked something like this:
Step 5: Attach a picture hanger on to the back of the mirror for hanging. I used a sawtooth hanger and hot glue aplenty to secure the hanger on the back of the base. It ain’t pretty, but it works!
Step 6: Spray Paint both the front and back of the mirror with your choice of finish, ensuring to get the ends of the cones, as well as any visible spaces. I used Krylon Metallic spray in gold. I had to do about 3 or 4 coats to cover.
Step 7: To get the uneven appearance of the sun “bursts”, I measured and cut around the outside of each paper cone. I used 11″, 10.5″, 9.5″ and 8.5″ and followed a pattern of 11″, 10.5″, alternating 9.5″ and 8.5″ in length. I marked the measurement and cut on an angle to create the point.