Our Gingerbread House Christmas Table

A charming Christmas table setting decorated with homemade gingerbread to celebrate the wonder and magic of the season!

Hello friends! Christmas is a time for traditions.  We have many we look forward to each year, but one of our not so favorite traditions? At least one major appliance breaking down right before Christmas. In the past week, our microwave has begun spontaneously turning on. Our dishwasher required new wheels on the top rack. And, finally, during our first snowfall (finally, a white Christmas!), our furnace conked out! Guess what I added to my Christmas list.. heat!

The stress can easily get to you, but without those challenges, we’d be hard-pressed to appreciate the sweet moments in life. Decorating homemade gingerbread houses with the kids every year is one of those moments and what better way than with a fun Christmas table, complete with homemade gingerbread cookies, to mark the occasion!

Thank you to Chloe from Celebrate & Decorate for inviting me to participate in her Christmas Tablescape blog hop. Be sure to scroll down to see the other Christmas tables throughout the week!

kiok_GET_gingerbread_house_patterns_1

Our Gingerbread House Christmas Table

The Centerpiece

This Christmas table is ALL about the gingerbread. I love everything about gingerbread. I love the smell, the taste, and how pretty it looks all decked out with royal icing, piped in beautiful patterns. This quick-baking gingerbread recipe requires no chilling, cutting project time in half. We decorated houses the SAME day as I baked and assembled them. And the taste.. yum! Perfectly spicy, firm enough to hold shape, but still soft!

christmas table_gingerbread housesA gingerbread village waiting for candy embellishments acts as a whimsical centerpiece. All three house patterns are available in this pattern set (download it here for FREE!).

Not only decorative, piped royal icing is also the glue holding the homes together!

Christmas Table_Gingerbread Centerpiece

Gingerbread House patternsDIY Christmas Ornaments – Dollar Store Project

Later, the kids got in on the act and added colorful candies. The kids love piping their frosting!

Decorating Gingerbreead

The Table Runner

Dollar Tree paper doilies glued together creates an adorable table runner lovely against the quaintness of the decorated gingerbread village. I love how the scalloped edges mimic the design on the houses. Even better, because we planned to accessorize the homes (Ie: create a mess), I didn’t have to worry about icing or sweets dripping onto good linens – and it cost a dollar!

The Table Setting

christmas table_gingerbread table decorations

You might remember my cute DIY pink dinner plates from last years table, stacked atop DIY polka-dotted chargers.

Christmas table decorating with gingerbread

Sweet dessert plates from Target’s Dollar Aisle completes the stack.  I couldn’t find a link for mine, but these are adorable, too!

Christmas table ideas

Red napkins in a Christmas Tree fold, topped with a bakers’ twine bow, are the perfect pillow for my grandmother’s silver.

christmas table_gingerbread man decorationsA  teal napkin adds a pop of color and compliments the pattern of the gingerbread house bases. Gingerbread Men Place Markers, piped with each guests name, complete the scene.

christmas table_easy gingerbread house decorating ideas

Food

I have to be careful about what I eat, as I have all kinds of food intolerances. Homemade Eggnog tastes even better than the store-bought stuff and contains no chemicals or preservatives!

christmas table_gingerbread house decor

Other Decor

These DIY Honeycomb tissue paper ornaments are my new favorite things and look lovely dangling over the table. I’ve made one in nearly every color imaginable! christmas table_centerpiece closeup with ornamenets

Gingerbread House patternsDIY Christmas Ornaments – Dollar Store Project

christmas table_gingerbread decorating ideas

Sweets in bright colors work double time as table decor and gingerbread home decor, especially when displayed on tiered cake platters – I love using food as decor!

christmas decorations

christmas table - christmas decor ideas

Although not my most elegant Christmas table to date, I have to say, despite all things, this Christmas table setting rates right up there as one of my favorites. How could it not be when we all enjoyed it so!

christmas table - making gingerbread houses

It might be a bit chilly in here, but I’m blessed beyond measure! Wishing you as many blessings! May your appliances (and furnaces) behave, and may your Christmas season be magical, bright, and happy.

Christmas Table Gingerbread Pin

Thanks so much or stopping in and don’t forget to check out the other magical Christmas table settings before you go!

kiok_GET_gingerbread_house_patterns_2

Christmas Tablescape Blog Hop 2018

Monday

Home is Where the Boat Is | Everyday Living | Knock it Off Kim | A casa di Bianca

Tuesday

Life and Linda | The Painted Hinge | Panoply | Corner of Plaid and Paisley

Wednesday

Debbee’s Buzz | Follow the Yellow Brick Home Living With Thanksgiving
Home and Gardening With Liz

Thursday

Red Cottage Chronicles | The Painted Apron | Our Crafty Mom | Celebrate & Decorate

Friday

From My Carolina Home | Sweet Sensations | Me and My Captain
Zucchini Sisters | Blue Sky at Home

knockitoffkim.com projects

This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I make a commission when a sale is made by clicking on the link, at no additional cost to you. I value you and your trust and only recommend products and brands that I genuinely love. Thanks for supporting Knock it Off Kim!

Like this post? Enter your email address to get access to our freebie area and monthly newsletter! It’s non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

Yes! I want to receive news, promotions, and updates from KnockitoffKim.com. You can withdraw this consent at any time.

See our Privacy Policy for more information.

KnockitoffKim.com will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing. Let us know what format you prefer to receive your email in!

We use MailChimp as our marketing automation platform. By clicking below to submit this form, you acknowledge that the information you provide will be transferred to MailChimp for processing by their Privacy Policy and Terms.

HONEYCOMB DIY CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT_Feature

• Donna Bianca

This is lovely, Kim! Gingerbread village is so cute! Thank you for sharing patterns and… merry Christmas!

December 10, 2018 at 5:26 am Reply
    • Kim

Merry Christmas, Donna! Thank you so much!

December 13, 2018 at 11:15 am Reply
  • Mary

Adorable gingerbread village Kim! Food as décor makes for sweet tablescaping and you’re so smart to use the paper doilies as a runner and easy clean up too. The kids look super focused while decorating 🙂 I hope your heat is restored soon (brrr!) and your appliances are nice instead of naughty for Christmas. It’s always great fun hopping with you, Merry Christmas!

December 10, 2018 at 5:55 am Reply
    • Kim

Thanks so much, Mary! Gingerbread house decorating is serious business around here as you can see from their faces! Our heat is once again restored and all is well. 🙂

December 13, 2018 at 11:16 am Reply
  • Rita C at Panoply

Kim, the best thing about this entire table is that picture of everyone decorating it! What a genuinely memorable Christmas you guys are making with those houses. This will be the Christmas everyone remembers all the appliances breaking down, especially the heating system! That’s anyone’s worst nightmare, especially when hosting like I will be for nearly 40 this Christmas Eve. I hope all is resolved for you now. A microwave turning itself on actually sounds the scariest of all to me.
    The doilies as table runner is a brilliant idea, and those paper ornaments on the chandy are just fabulous! I pinned that post, a great tutorial, and could be sized for whatever the occasion, not only Christmas.
    Thanks for sharing all your homemade goodness. It’s very inspiring to see you doing this and involving your kids. I’m a firm believer in kids appreciating effort when they’re involved. They’re seeing what a great home you’re making for them and with them. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

December 10, 2018 at 7:22 am Reply
    • Kim

Hi Rita! Wow – 40 for Christmas! I’m crossing all of my fingers and toes for a memorable (but only in the best ways) evening for you and yours full of all the magic Christmas can hold!

December 13, 2018 at 11:19 am Reply
  • Ann Krucek

I agree with Rita!!! I just love the photos of all the decorating and fun going on at this table!!! This will surely be a christmas memory!! They certainly turned up the heat with their enthusiasm for creativity. I hope nothing else breaks down, it’s unfortunate to have to occur those expenses this time of year, but your time at this table is priceless! The doily runner along with the egg nog in the milk bottles are my favorite touches to your gingerbread table. Thanks for bringing the fun!!

December 10, 2018 at 9:22 am Reply
    • Kim

Hi Ann! They really did turn up the heat – thank goodness! And thank you for your kind words – Merry Christmas!

December 13, 2018 at 11:19 am Reply
  • Carole at From My Carolina Home

Such a fun idea, and a wonderful day to spend with family.

December 10, 2018 at 9:26 am Reply
    • Kim

Thanks so much, Carole! Merry Christmas!

December 13, 2018 at 11:20 am Reply
  • Kari at Me and My Captain

Kim your family helping with the gingerbread village is what Christmas is all about. I LOVE that part of your post. Seeing the village lined up the center of your table on the Dollar tree doilies is perfect. I want to come sit and help decorate your gingerbread houses and laugh and eat and celebrate Christmas memories. It is always a pleasure blog hopping with you.

December 10, 2018 at 9:43 am Reply
    • Kim

Hi Kari! It was such a fun day and the best part of putting together tablescapes – it’s like a mini-party every month and they just love it. You would be welcome anytime! Merry Christmas to you!

December 13, 2018 at 11:21 am Reply
  • Jenna

This is so much fun Kim! You have some serious decorators there! I agree, food makes the best table decorations! We have a gingerbread house decorating party every year but I always buy the kits and glue the houses together, I need to kick it up and use your patterns and recipe next year! Just adorable!

December 10, 2018 at 9:56 am Reply
    • Kim

Hi Jenna! There have been many a year we’ve also bought the kits and have had just as merry a time! I’m honestly not an avid baker, but every few years I get the bug to make my own. It was the first time I’d used this recipe I used, but it won’t be the last. It was so easy to work with! Thanks so much and Merry Christmas to you!

December 13, 2018 at 11:25 am Reply
  • Liz

Love the image of the family making the gingerbread houses. How fun for them and what great memories you are creating! The table looks so cute with the gingerbread houses centered and the dishes are adorable with the gingerbread cookies on them!
    Why do appliances conk out when we need them most!

December 10, 2018 at 10:43 am Reply
    • Kim

Liz, that is (nearly) the million dollar question, isn’t it? lol Merry Christmas to you and your family!

December 13, 2018 at 11:26 am Reply
  • Marsha

A gingerbread village…..so dear to my heart. There is nothing like participating in creating and decorating a gingerbread house. So much fun and so many memories that you will cherish for years to come. I love the various colors and patterns in your table, especially red and turquoise. It is so festive and definitely says, “party”. Merry Christmas.

December 10, 2018 at 11:59 am Reply
    • Kim

Merry Christmas, Marsha! Thank you!

December 13, 2018 at 11:26 am Reply
  • Michelle

Kim, I adore your Christmas gingerbread house tablescape! What a neat twist to the traditional Christmas tablescape! And how much fun is it to get the family together to make the gingerbread house centerpiece! It’s a great way to make Christmas memories. So happy to be hopping with you! Happy Holidays!

December 10, 2018 at 2:55 pm Reply
    • Kim

Thanks so much, Michelle! It was really a ton of fun – I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!

December 13, 2018 at 11:27 am Reply
  • bonnie morgan

Kim, This is adorable. I love to see people gathered around a table creating and enjoying each other! What darling gingerbread houses and cookies as well as cute DIY ornaments hanging from the light fixture.
    Using the dollies for a garland was very clever and looks great.
    Sorry about all your appliances and heating unit. Not fun!

December 11, 2018 at 3:25 pm Reply
    • Kim

Hi Bonnie! Thanks so much – we are all nice and toasty warm now. Merry Christmas!

December 13, 2018 at 11:28 am Reply
  • Chloe

What a wonderful tradition and fun way to gather during the holidays! I love the colorful paper ornaments hanging over your table, too! Thank you so much for joining another hop and sharing your fun tradition and your styling talents! Merry Christmas!

December 11, 2018 at 4:01 pm Reply
    • Kim

Thanks, Chloe, for including me! Merry Christmas to you, dear lady!

December 13, 2018 at 11:29 am Reply
  • Maureen

Kim, I really hope your luck changes when it comes to appliances. You are handling it very well!! I love gingerbread houses and I know yours are being adorned with candy and trimmings, but I think they look just perfect with just the white icing! Your honeycomb decorations add a festive whimsy. What a fun table to spend a snowy afternoon!

December 11, 2018 at 5:04 pm Reply
  • Fiordicactus

Very very nice! <3

Mi spiace per i tuoi elettrodomestici, capita sempre quando una ha tante cose da fare!

Golosa la tua tavola . . . Se mia figlia (la pasticcera di casa) mi aiuta, almeno una volta vedo di usare l'idea degli omini di pan di zenzero!

Sono arrivata qua dal blog di Donna Bianca!

Ciao, Fior

December 11, 2018 at 5:11 pm Reply
  • Linda

Very sweet Kim. The gingerbread tablescape os so fun. Getting the family together make it even more special. memories in the making.

December 11, 2018 at 6:26 pm Reply
  • Carol

Kim, first, sorry to hear about your alliance issues. Definitely don’t want the heat to go out. The gingerbread houses are so cute. I’ve actually made a few for charity events. Your gingerbread theme is so fun and gives your table such a happy feel. Love how colorful it is. Have fun and stay warm.

December 12, 2018 at 8:25 am Reply
  • Rebecca

Kim, your gingerbread tablescape is adorable! My daughter would just love to sit at your table and decorate gingerbread houses. And I love the DIY ornaments hanging from the chandelier! It’s so nice to see a kid friendly table. You’ve inspired me to host a gingerbread decorating party for my daughter and her friends. Well done! Have a wonderful Christmas!

December 12, 2018 at 5:36 pm Reply
  • Sandra

Despite the distractions, you created a fun and family-friendly table. The colorful ornaments hanging from the chandy are very different add a touch of whimsy. Thank you for sharing pictures of your family and Merry Christmas!

December 12, 2018 at 6:28 pm Reply
  • Debbee

Kim, as fun and festive as your tablescape is, what I enjoyed the most was the photo’s of the gingerbread makers in action! Loved the unique chandy decorations too. So many tablescapes look like magazine spreads, but it’s the tables where family and friends truly gather and make merry that are the stars. Pinned!

December 12, 2018 at 7:37 pm Reply
  • Susan the Farm Quilter

Love the gingerbread houses and the cute kids decorating them! Your ornaments are beautiful…care to do a tutorial (if you haven’t already, I’m new here!) on how to make them? And would you share your recipe for eggnog?? New follower her!

December 15, 2018 at 12:03 am Reply