How to Update a Thrift Store Console Cabinet (for almost nothing!)

Posted in FURNITURE MAKE-OVERS, MAKEOVER CHALLENGES
on January 17, 2018

Update a thrift store console cabinet with chalk paint for an instant, new look!

console cabinet

Welcome back to the third week of the $100 Room Challenge, hosted by the lovely Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry! So, we’re halfway through this challenge, and so far all I’ve got to show for it is a great plan, a hairpin legged coffee table, and a lengthy to-do list with only a few things checked off!  This week we’re checking a few more off.  We’re talking end tables, or more specifically, console cabinets! Ready? Let’s go!

console cabinet- old end table

THE PROBLEM – SMALL END TABLES

In my original plan (and on my to-do list) I’d wanted to do something fun and different with our existing end tables. But when I got started, I realized the tables hadn’t been working for the past ten years, not for how they looked, but because they were too small, too short and had no storage. Soo.. instead of giving them a makeover, I took them out of the room which had NOT been in the original plan but made the most sense. Sometime’s it’s okay to go from three end tables to NO end tables!

THE SOLUTION – A CONSOLE CABINET!

“No end tables” wasn’t going to work either, but with just $70 to spend and shelves still to build, adding new tables isn’t an option. Thankfully, I’m a bit of a hoarder collector and have way too much stuff hanging around – like this adorable little console cabinet.

console cabinet - before

I purchased this cute console cabinet at a thrift store a few years ago for $25, brought it home and slapped some red paint on it. The design is somewhat farmhouse, which isn’t so much me, but at the time I was searching for my style and red is my favorite color! I loved the ample space for hidden storage, and before our foyer-makeover, the console cabinet held center court at the front door and held our winter hats and gloves.

Since then it’s been floating around my house searching for a purpose – at least until now!

console cabinet-before-show other side of doors

The console cabinet had a whole lot going for it:

• height
  • width
  • storage

The red paint and the farmhouse design had to go, but that was easy peasy to change.

FROM FARMHOUSE TO VINTAGE MODERN

I started out giving it a good cleaning. To change up the farmhouse design I flipped the doors over and relocated the hardware. Then, I gave it a coat of Rustoleum “Chalked” paint in Linen White.

console cabinet - paint can

Like most chalk finishes, this one doesn’t require a primer or any prep work, other than cleaning before applying. I like to have a can around the house pretty much all of the time! I followed up with a coat of Minwax Finishing Wax for protection.

console cabinet - painting

I’ll add new hardware in the future, but for now,  I gave the existing knobs a quick coat of gold metallic paint.

console cabinet - hardware painting

The console cabinet slid right into place and is just the right height and weight for our large roll arm sofa.  The cabinet acts as both storage for remotes and our Wii U console, as well as an end table – multi-purpose is the best!

console cabinet - end

With a few fun accents from around the house, it’s the perfect side table for our new living room!

console cabinet - plant accent

console cabinet - plant with print

OTHER UPDATES

As for the other end table, I did some more shopping around the house. I picked up this ceramic garden stool for a steal many summers ago. It’s another piece that moves around the house from room to room, but I think it’s found a permanent home as well! At first, I was going to paint it cream but decided the red was just a little bit unexpected and will keep the room from looking too matchy-matchy.

console cabinet -garden stool

I’ve managed to get a few other things done – The lamps might look a little different – I’ll be sharing more on those early next week.

console cabinet - lamp

I also finished something else that I’ll be sharing tomorrow – eek! I’m so excited about this one! PS. It wasn’t on the list, but I am happy I did it anyway! I hope you’ll drop by.

console cabinet - final

WHERE WE STAND

Before you go, let’s take a look at where we’re at with both the budget and the TO-DO list:

TO-DO LIST:

• Update the coffee table
  • Give the lamps a make-over
  • Replace the end tables
  • Replace the large painting over the sofa with something more contemporary
  • “Build-in” the shelving
  • Update or add new accents and artwork throughout the room

The budget remains the same – I had everything on hand for this one. Yay!

Budget:

Material Cost
Hairpin Legs for table $30
Total Remaining $70

Remember, I’ll be back next week with another update – only two weeks to go! Need a refresher on where we started? Check here!

1-The Plan | Week 2 | Week 3| Week 4| Reveal

Not up for DIY?

knock it off kim get the look

Be sure to check out the other participants of this month’s $100 Room Challenge. There is some serious talent in this group!

100 Room Challenge

Enter your email address to get new post notification by email! It’s non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

Hairpin leg Coffee Table - Feature
painted brick fireplace - feature

• Emy

I love the console makeover! Such a cute piece! And those lamps look amazing!

January 18, 2018 at 10:22 am Reply

thanks so much, Emy!

January 18, 2018 at 1:10 pm Reply
  • Tracy

It looks great white! Love it!

January 18, 2018 at 8:20 pm Reply
  • kelli

I was wondering how you had switched up the doors when I first saw the before/after. Brilliant idea!

January 18, 2018 at 10:54 pm Reply

Thank you! I love that I can switch them back if I ever lean more towards farmhouse again!

January 20, 2018 at 6:24 pm Reply
  • Melissa

I love the new table and so functional! Shopping your house is great advice. Can’t wait to see the whole room come together!

January 19, 2018 at 9:15 am Reply

Thanks so much, Melissa! I’m so excited for everyone’s reveals!

January 20, 2018 at 6:23 pm Reply
  • Meredith at The Palette Muse

What a great solution to your end table dilemma. I can’t believe the transformation!

January 20, 2018 at 1:56 pm Reply

It really is SO much more functional and just an overall better fit for our monstrous sofa! I wish I’d thought to use it there earlier!

January 20, 2018 at 6:23 pm Reply
  • Meg Green With Decor

Such a cute piece, I love what you did with it!!

January 21, 2018 at 8:49 pm Reply

Thanks, Meg! I see these consoles all the time and they are usually completely outdated, but it’s so worth a purchase. It’s one of those pieces that just works anywhere, but where it is now is just perfect for me! I love how your bathroom is coming along!

January 25, 2018 at 4:58 pm Reply
  • Kristen

Love the new crisp white of that console table!

January 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm Reply

Thank you, Kristen! I like it so much more in white!

January 25, 2018 at 4:58 pm Reply
  • Maria - House by the Preserve

Love the idea of switching the doors! Looks so nice and bright with the white paint!

January 23, 2018 at 12:44 pm Reply

Thank you, Maria! I love that I can switch it right back if the mood hits me – multi-purpose is the best.

January 25, 2018 at 5:00 pm Reply
  • Erin- Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

LOVE what you decided to do!!! The console looks wonderful in here, and sound like a perfect solution.

January 24, 2018 at 2:19 pm Reply

Thanks so much, Erin! It really is so much more functional and just a better scale overall. In another life we won’t always purchase furniture for giants, but until then, scale is SO important! lol

January 25, 2018 at 4:56 pm Reply