This Unexpected Colorful Painted Brick Fireplace Makeover Will Make You Smile

Posted in LIVING ROOM, MAKEOVER CHALLENGES, PAINT TREATMENTS
on January 20, 2018

If you’re thinking a bold, colorfully painted brick fireplace makeover may be just the focal point your room needs but are afraid to take the painting plunge, fear not. This painting project is one that is well worth the risk!

painted brick fireplace

You guys, I’m SO excited about today’s post that I’m posting it early! If you follow along with me, you’ll know I’m currently smack-dab in the middle of the $100 Room Challenge, hosted by the talented Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry! So, it’s week four and I’m knee deep in sawdust and drills, trying to get my shelving unit finished in time! So far I’ve shared my plan, made a hairpin legged coffee table for less than $40, and came up with a new-to-me end table solution, leaving me with a to-do list with fewer things checked off than I’d like. However, we’re in the home stretch. And then, I decided to make things interesting by adding something to my list rather than subtracting –  how about a painted brick fireplace makeover!

I knew when I started the living room that I’d need to do something with the painted brick fireplace – what better than a painted brick fireplace makeover!

painted brick fireplace - before

The color and texture I’d painted years before just didn’t gel with the new design, and it was bugging me. It was time for something new, and I was thinking bold, blue and beautiful! At least until I started thinking about it.

painted brick fireplace - before inside

SECOND GUESSING

Do you ever have a tough time trusting your instincts? I do, ALL the time.  When it comes to decorating, I love color and drama. I know this about myself, and I my “design self.” So, why oh why, do I sometimes go in the complete opposite direction with simple and neutral and ‘safe’ design choices? Why?

When I decided to embark on my painted brick fireplace makeover, my first thought was to go big (and bold) or to go home. Then, I decided something light, something safe and something “grown-up” would give me more flexibility; sophisticated gray tones. I painted the entire fireplace front, but when I stood back and looked at it, it didn’t give me that feeling of glee I get when I walk into a room that is my idea of perfect. The gray was just okay – it had little impact on me at all, which is the exact opposite of what I wanted it to do. I wanted the fireplace to pop and immediately draw your eye, but instead, the feature just faded into the background.

TAKING A CHANCE

For a day or so, I just thought about what to do. My first idea to go bold and bright, cementing the fireplace as the focal point of the room – I was nervous that it wouldn’t work.

painted brick fireplace - testing

Finally, after stewing about it, I just went ahead and painted a section of bricks to see how it would look. That small part saturated with color.. it was something! Something colorful and beautiful and so not like anything I’ve seen.

painted brick fireplace - painting

The next thing I knew, I’d painted my brick fireplace blue. Yes, BLUE, and I LOVE IT! It makes me smile every time I walk in the room, and I’m so glad I followed my instincts. Not only is the fireplace more updated, but it’s also the focal point I was looking for, AND it’s the anchor that brings everything else together. I get this might not be everyone’s idea of perfect, but luckily I’m the only one who has to live here – and it makes my heart pitter-pat every time I see it!

painted brick fireplace - side view

For those of you thinking of taking your brick fireplace to a bolder place, here’s how I did it!

How-to: Painted Brick Fireplace Makeover

You’ll need:

What you’ll do:

Before you start, give the brick a thorough cleaning with TSP or another non-sudsing household cleaner to ensure your paint adheres properly. Rinse and let dry. Tape off the edges for a clean look.

painted brick fireplace - paint for inside

Use the spray paint on the inside of the fireplace. Dry.

I had already painted my fireplace so was able to skip priming. If your fireplace is unpainted, apply an oil-based primer, with a brush or paint roller. If using a roller, you’ll want one with a high nap for rough surfaces. Consider using the cheapest one you can find – brick is not kind to paintbrushes or rollers.  Apply following the instructions on the paint can. Dry.

Apply your paint. It is easiest to use the small paint brush to cover the mortar lines and edges, then to go back with a 1″ brush to fill in. I needed one full coat of paint with a second touch-up coat. Behr paint is my FAVORITE for that reason – it has excellent almost one-coat coverage!

Remove your painter’s tape and enjoy the new look of your fireplace!

painted brick fireplace - cute accents

Whether you’re a seasoned decorator or home design is new to you, be bold with your choices. Take risks with paint – paint isn’t expensive or permanent, and it doesn’t require a tremendous amount of effort to apply – even on a fireplace! Take a chance on bringing your vision to life. Be fearless. What you will end up with is a home design that will be entirely you, with features that will make your heart pitter-pat every time you walk by!

Let’s take a quick look at our list of things to finish and our budget!

TO-DO LIST:

• Update the coffee table
  • Give the lamps a make-over
  • Replace the end tables
  • Replace the large painting over the sofa with something more contemporary
  • “Build-in” the shelving
  • Update or add new accents and artwork throughout the room
  • Painted brick fireplace makeover

My budget stayed the same. Again, I had everything I needed – I LOVE it when that happens!

Budget:

Material Cost
Hairpin Legs for table $30
Total Remaining $70

Remember, I’ll be back next week with another update – only two weeks to go! Need a refresher on where we started? Check here!

1-The Plan | Week 2 | Week 3| Week 4| Reveal

Not up for DIY?

knock it off kim get the look

Be sure to check out the other participants of this month’s $100 Room Challenge. There is some serious talent in this group!

painted brick fireplace - Pin

knockitoffkim.com projects

Enter your email address to get new post notification by email! It’s non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

console cabinet - feature
eclectic modern - feature

• Meredith at The Palette Muse

This is such a great example of knowing your style and going for it! I love the pop of color, and it looks great with your rug!

January 22, 2018 at 2:20 pm Reply

Thanks, Meredith! It can be SO difficult to take a chance like that – I’m so glad I did. It really does make me smile every time I walk in the room!

January 25, 2018 at 4:59 pm Reply
  • Emily

Kim, this is so YOU! I love seeing how you take chances and risks throughout your home—it inspires me to do the same because I can definitely relate to the second-guessing feelings!

January 25, 2018 at 3:11 pm Reply

Thanks, Emily! You made me giggle 🙂 It’s so hard sometimes, isn’t it? I spend so much time worrying about what I think I should want! But, I think I’m learning that I’m always happier if I go with my gut – even if it’s not what I would consider the popular choice. And, if I hate it, I can always paint it – it’s JUST painted!

January 25, 2018 at 4:55 pm Reply
  • Beth

I LOVE this! You are so right- always go with your instincts- because they’re right! I’ve definitely gone down the path of doing what is “grown-up” or “expected” instead of listening to my gut and I usually end up unhappy and redoing the project. I cannot wait to see the reveal on this room!

January 26, 2018 at 5:24 am Reply

Thanks so much, Beth! I don’t know why we do that to ourselves?!I’m slowly coming around to ignoring the other voice – the one of doubt! We can work through it together.

February 10, 2018 at 7:26 am Reply
  • Emy

The grown up choice is always the wrong choice. 😉 I LOVE the blue so much! It’s so bold and beautiful and just sings.
    By the way, I really need to paint the inside of my fireplace, but I hate the thought of properly cleaning it. 😉

January 26, 2018 at 9:42 am Reply

thank you, Emy! I’m so glad you like it! Yes, painting the inside isn’t my idea of fun either but it made such a big difference in this case!

February 10, 2018 at 7:27 am Reply
  • Nicki Parrish

What a bold and fantastic color choice! Love it!

January 28, 2018 at 9:49 pm Reply

thank you, Nicki! It really helps to lead the eye where we’d like it go – it works in this room where it tends to be a little dark!

February 10, 2018 at 7:29 am Reply
  • Lisa

I love this! I don’t think I’ve seen colour used in this way on a fireplace but it works really well.

January 31, 2018 at 3:28 am Reply

Thanks so much, Lisa! No, I hadn’t seen a lot of either – so glad I took the plunge!

February 10, 2018 at 7:29 am Reply
  • Erin- Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

This is SO fun! I am so glad you followed your heart and did something colorful and bold. And I am so glad you love it! Totally worth the risk!

February 5, 2018 at 4:19 pm Reply

Thank you, Erin! We’re a few weeks in – still love it. Why is it so dang hard, though, to take risks sometimes?

February 10, 2018 at 7:30 am Reply