Colorful Eclectic Style Living Room Inspiration

Posted in MAKEOVER CHALLENGES, ROOM INSPIRATION
on January 3, 2018

Decorating your room with a colorful, eclectic style doesn’t have to be difficult. This plan as inspiration to help you design an eclectic style room that oozes a relaxed and gathered vibe in no time at all!

eclectic style

I’m so EXCITED to be kicking off the new year with one of my favorite things to do – a design plan!  Today, I’m sharing ideas for taking my traditional, outdated hodgepodge living room and turning it into a colorful, eclectic style living room of my dreams! Even more exciting? I’m updating it for the $100 Room Challenge, hosted by my friend Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry, which means I’ll be doing it for just 100 bucks – just take a guess how happy my husband is at that news, especially right after Christmas.

I updated my powder room for my first $100 Room Challenge, and it was the best $100 I’ve ever spent! – You’ll be amazed what a $100 can do! Be sure to check out the other participants at the end of this post.

This week, it’s all about the plan. But, first, let’s take a look at where we’re coming from. If you just want to go directly to the design, click here.

BEFORE

We’ve been redecorating this room slowly since we moved in ten years ago, which has left our current style more of a mishmash of different styles and colors with a strong lean toward the traditional. Although eclectic is what I’m going for, this isn’t exactly what I had in mind!

Our living room rug had seen better days and too many puppy accidents for it to go on a moment longer, so, when we had guests visiting back in early November, we opted to replace the rug with two new layered rugs. The new rugs will NOT be included in the budget, as the changes I’m making during this challenge will be part and parcel, outlined below.

eclectic style - art work

Don’t worry though; there is still plenty to do with artwork, accessories, and furniture all coming out of the $100 budget. You can bet there will be a ton of DIY going on!

eclectic style - lamp and shelving view eclectic style - mantle

THE DESIGN

eclectic style design_large

A Colorful Eclectic Style Living Room Design Plan

An Eclectic Style = Mixed Patterns and Textured Textiles + Woodtones + Vintage, industrial accents + varied art mediums and styles

An eclectic style is all about choosing pieces for your room from a variety of places and themes. It’s pairing a mix of printed and textured fabrics alongside more structured and clean-lined mid-century pieces, creating an unexpected and original look. To me, it’s a little more formal than bohemian, but has the same ‘anything goes’ attitude. I like to include vintage pieces, such as industrial accents, to add depth and interest and wood-tones for warmth. I love to incorporate an unexpected mix of art styles and mediums – gallery walls are perfect to use in an eclectic style!

In this design, the addition of a more modern chenille fabric on the cushions of the leather sofa completely changes the look. The rustic-style coffee table with hairpin legs brings both warmth and has a vintage look. The artwork is both modern and colorful – eye-catching for sure – but is still soft and simple. The pillows and use of white bring brightness to our room which tends to lean to the dark side. The grays soften the room.

*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through a link, I receive a small commission at no expense to you. Thanks for supporting KnockitOff Kim!

knock it off kim get the look

I can’t wait to get started bringing this design to life!

Here’s my to-do list:

• Update the coffee table
  • Give the lamps a make-over
  • Replace the end tables
  • Replace the large painting over the sofa with something more contemporary
  • “Build-in” the shelving
  • Update or add new accents and artwork throughout the room

Remember, I’ll be sharing a new project each Wednesday throughout this month – be sure to follow along! You can catch up on all the progress and DIYs and updated budget here:

1-The Plan | Week 2 | Week 3| Week 4| Reveal

Be sure to check out the other participants of this month’s $100 Room Challenge. There is some serious talent in this group!

100 Room Challenge

eclectic style design_pin

Enter your email address to get new post notification by email! It’s non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

Feature-Rustic Modern Family Room
Hairpin leg Coffee Table - Feature

• Emy

I love your mood board! Can’t wait to see how your room turns out.

January 4, 2018 at 1:11 pm Reply

Thanks, Emy! I’m SO excited!

January 4, 2018 at 1:49 pm Reply
  • Meredith at The Palette Muse

Oh fun, I love eclectic design! I can’t wait to see what you do with this room!

January 4, 2018 at 1:50 pm Reply

It’s always an adventure – and a surprise – as to how it turns out! Thanks for stopping by, Meredith!

January 4, 2018 at 1:59 pm Reply
  • Amanda

I love the color palette! The pops of navy are going to be stunning!

January 4, 2018 at 2:35 pm Reply

Thanks so much, Amanada! I’m so excited!

January 4, 2018 at 9:42 pm Reply
  • Leigh

This is such a great space and you have great ideas! Can’t wait to watch the transformation!

January 4, 2018 at 3:33 pm Reply

Thank you, Leigh!

January 4, 2018 at 9:42 pm Reply
  • Meg Green With Decor

Your mood board is so pretty! Love those marble canisters! Can’t wait to see the finished space!

January 4, 2018 at 9:08 pm Reply

Thanks, Meg! So fun doing this challenge with you!

January 4, 2018 at 9:43 pm Reply
  • Maria - House by the Preserve

Your mood board is so pretty! Looking forward to following along!

January 4, 2018 at 9:15 pm Reply

Thanks, Maria!

January 4, 2018 at 9:43 pm Reply
  • Patti

Hi Kim,

I love the eclectic style. Mine is similar in the fact that I love working with all types of textures and colors. Love that you are tackling the living and look forward to seeing what you do.

January 5, 2018 at 7:26 am Reply
  • Tracy

What a fun design plan! I can’t wait to see it completed!

January 5, 2018 at 1:34 pm Reply

Thanks, Tracy!

January 11, 2018 at 1:31 pm Reply
  • Jenny

I totally know what you mean about slowly decorating over the years and then not really having anything that matches what you’re going for with a design. My living room feels the same way. I can’t wait to see how you transform this into an eclectic space!

January 6, 2018 at 10:52 pm Reply

Thank you, Jenny! I’m so excited to be doing this challenge with so many talented and supportive women!

January 11, 2018 at 1:31 pm Reply
  • Erin- Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

Your mood board look amazing, so bright and cheery. Can’t wait to see how you change this room during the month, and happy to have you back for another round!

January 10, 2018 at 4:36 pm Reply

Thanks so much, Erin! I’m so glad you thought of this challenge.. it’s one of my favorites!

January 11, 2018 at 1:30 pm Reply