Home » Setting a Modern Vintage Christmas Tablescape

This modern tablescape maintains a vintage Christmas feel with fresh greenery, bright, vibrant blooms. The bottlebrush trees and cheater-putz houses all lend a nostalgic feel, and the geometric globes hold a special gift, just for you – free Holiday gift labels!

vintage Christmas

Hello, Friends! The most magical time of the year is upon us with Christmas Day arriving in T-minus -21 days! I hope you’re as excited as I am!  I’ve been busy decorating every nook and cranny – I’m sure you have been, too! Thanks so much for stopping by today and joining 27 beyond-talented bloggers and me for our Christmas Tablescape Blog Hop. Be sure to visit them all to soak up every fabulous Christmas table decorating idea!

HOW TO SET A MODERN VINTAGE CHRISTMAS TABLESCAPE

I stepped outside of the box on this one and created a tablescape with modern color, style, and accents, which still maintained that vintage Christmas feel I’m so crazy about.  I love green and red as much as the next person, but I like pinks and blues and turquoises far more, and this setting has that in gangbusters!

THE ROOM

Like many of you, I’m sure, the only time my dining room gets dressed up is special occasions. A few years ago we created a dining/play multipurpose room. During most of the year, our dining table folds up and acts as a console table. But when Christmas (Or Thanksgiving. Or Halloween.) comes around, things get fancy, and that table folds out!  Here it is the night before the big decorating! For more information on that, click here!

vintage Christmas -Dining Room

vintage Christmas -Table

THE CENTERPIECE

vintage Christmas - green runner

I started by laying a scotch-pine runner, adding sprigs of Leyland cypress and boxwood atop a teal and vintage looking lace-edged layered table runner, right down the center of the table.

vintage Christmas - Greens

I nestled glittery candles and cheater-putz houses bathed in glitter in pinks, blues, and other pastels. I’ll be sharing the fastest tutorial on these later in the season!

vintage Christmas - Putz Houses

Next, came various sizes and colors of bottlebrush trees, along with clementines for color and texture.

vintage Christmas - Reindeer

Colorful reindeer ornaments adorned with sparkle flank the sides of the runner.

vintage Christmas - Gift Tags

Geometric globes hold small gifts, wrapped in ribbon and love from Santa, just for you. His gift? These free downloadable gift tags!

Christmas Gift Tag Graphic

vintage Christmas - blooms 1

vintage Christmas - center side

In the center sits a large vase of vibrant blooms and evergreen stems.

vintage Christmas - blooms 2

THE PLACE SETTINGS

The gold chargers are my holiday standbys, but I love finding new ways to use them!

vintage Christmas - Tablesetting

The salad plates were a budget find this year. I love the whimsical message and images and the mix of colors and patterns. Linen napkins wrapped in gold napkin rings and red and white baker’s twine bows set the scene. I wasn’t able to find Christmas crackers in time, but rest assured I’ll be adding them before the season is out!

vintage Christmas - salad plates

I’ve been dying for pink dinner plates, but I’ve been unable to find any in the right shade (or budget).  I decided to take matters into my own hands and painted these on regular white dinner plates using a non-toxic enamel – I’ll be sharing a tutorial shortly!

vintage Christmas - pink platesb

Being an informal table setting, I skipped the place cards. I may decide to use my gift tags as place cards later in the season.

vintage Christmas - side view

Just because it’s an informal setting doesn’t mean I’m skipping the crystal! These crystal goblets hold cranberry mimosas garnished with fresh cranberries, orange slices, and sprigs of Rosemary. I know what we’ll be serving for Christmas breakfast!

vintage Christmas - Cranberry Mimosa

vintage Christmas - tablesetting with centerpiece

NEW VINTAGE

vintage Christmas-tablesetting 3

Even with its non-traditional colors, this table still holds all that is near and dear to me at this time of year – a place to gather with my family and friends, to celebrate the most wonderful time of year, surrounded by magic! And, of course, a visit from all of you!

vintage Christmas -full view from side

Merry Christmas and many thanks to Chloe at Celebrate & Decorate for organizing such a fun blog hop – always one of my favorite collaborations! Don’t forget to visit the other contributors – I’m headed over there now!

vintage Christmas - header

Enter your email address to get new post notification by email! It’s non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

40 comments

1. Kim, I really like your centerpiece construction on your table – it truly shines with modernity and color! My favorite photos of this great modern take on a Christmas table is that long shot, looking toward the sunlight gleaming on the festive drinks on each place setting. It’s gorgeous!

2. Kim, how smart to make your dining room multi~functional ~ and I love that table. All the cute vintage items give such a wonderful rainbow of color for a fun, cheerful setting. And I really like how you used those precious salad plates for color and practicality. Super cool tablescape.

• admin says:

Thank you so much, Carol! It drove me crazy that we had an entire room that we never stepped foot into for the majority of the year – this works much better for us. One of these days I’ll get around to putting the plans for the table on the blog #lazyblogger.

3. Kim, I agree with Rita and the camera shot of the cranberry mimosas gleaming brightly welcoming guests to join in the fun. Really lovely. And your fold up table is amazing. I also love that you painted your dinner plates pink. I LOVE paint and if it stands still long enough…it gets painted at my house. Thanks for sharing your beautiful table. Merry Christmas!

• admin says:

Hi Kari! Thank you so much! I’m exactly the same – you can’t imagine how excited I was to find an enamel that is food safe! They are pretty much my favorite thing right now – if I get nothing else for Christmas I’ll have pink plates! Merry Christmas to you!

4. Marsha says:

I love the idea of “modern vintage”. So much possibilities with that, isn’t there? The use of non-traditional colors is so much fun! The bottle brush trees in pinks and blues captures that nostalgic feel as does the buildings too. Gift tags are so special for me since I still have some of the old ones during my childhood. Not many people include them on their gifts, but this makes a wonderful vintage detail in your setting. The use of fresh greenery on your lovely multipurpose table adds to the modern farmhouse design. Such a festive and yet memorable feel. You captured the modern vintage theme perfectly. Have a very Merry Christmas.

• admin says:

Hi Marsha! I love using color to mix things up – there is an endless kaleidoscope of fun creating that way! I love that you save your gift tags – I do the same! Thank you so much for your kind comment and Merry Christmas to you!

5. Maureen says:

Oh, Kim. First can we talk about the actual table? Genius! I will be showing my husband for sure! Now, I just love the jewel tones of your Christmas table. I always think I couldn’t waiver from traditional Christmas, but you have given me food for thought. It really is stunning.

• admin says:

Hi Maureen! We love the table – as I mentioned in another comment, I’ll have to get to work putting the plans out for how we made it – when I do I’ll let you know! Thank you for your thoughtful comments and Merry Christmas!

6. Sandra says:

The vibrant colors on this table are so pretty! Even though the colors are non-traditional for The season, they, along with the fresh greens and flowers definitely have a Christmas vibe.

7. E. Sheila says:

What a colorful table! And i am one who loves color. You have the perfect combination of fun plates and accessories. Merry Christmas!

8. Mary says:

Merry and Bright is the perfect description of your table and especially your flowers! Your festive centerpiece has all the hallmarks of the season from the greenery, bottle brush trees, reindeer and Putz houses. I love the pretty glasses of Cranberry Mimosas!

• admin says:

Hi Mary! The flowers were so vibrant and lush that day and to think they are grocery store flowers! Thank you much for your kind words – Merry Christmas!

9. wendy says:

You used all the elements i love – little houses, fresh flowers, and little bottle brush trees. You did such a lovely and whimsical job with it. Bravo!

10. Jenna says:

Much fun, and being a lover of color I am ohhing and ahhing all the way through! I’m crazy about your cottages with the colorful roofs and the pops of pinks and turquoise and all things bright! Cute plates too!

• admin says:

Hi Jenna! The houses were beyond simple – just glue and glitter on paper ornaments – but I love them! Thanks so much for stopping by and Merry Christmas!

11. Sherry says:

Yes, you stepped outside the box but it turned out so beautiful!! I love the colors you used and the trees are perfect. The plates that you put together are so pretty.

12. Lori says:

How refreshing to see an “outside the box” Christmas tablescape full of colour and modern touches with vintage charm. I really like your embellished greenery runner with all the little pretties tucked inside for your guests to focus on as they enjoy their dinner. How creative of you to make your own “pink plates” and they look fantastic! Ahhh, mimosas – my fave for Christmas morning and I love the photo of yours going down the length of the table at each place setting – so inviting! Really enjoyed my stop here on the Blog Hop!

• admin says:

Hi Lori! I’m so glad you stopped by and that you enjoyed your stay! Come back anytime – mimosas will be on the menu – and have a lovely Christmas!

13. Pam Richardson says:

Kim, I love this colorful and bright table! I also love that your dining room is multi-purpose! The mix of colors that are non-traditional give your table that modern vibe but also vintage charm! I love blog hopping with you! Wishing you a beautiful Christmas season!

14. Rattlebridge Farm says:

From the Putz houses to the bottle trees to the gpcranberry mimosas, I am dazzled by your table. The centerpiece is genius, certain to delight guests and family. Christmas is beautifully merry and bright in your home!

15. Shannon says:

Your tablescape is just gorgeous, and the flowers make such an impressive and beautiful statement on your table. I hope that you and your family have a Merry Christmas!!!Shannon@Belle Bleu Interiors

16. Carol says:

I love all the colors you used in your tablescape; plus your table is so awesome. You would think the designers would come up with something similar for the consumer. I’m glad to have met you through this blog hop.

17. Emily says:

This tablescape is so colorful, I love it! Those plates are so cute too. The flowers are so beautiful too. What a fun Christmas tablescape!

18. Lynn says:

OK…8 am on a Saturday morning and I’ve already learned something new! I had never heard of Putz houses…but after looking them up I can see why you used ‘cheater’ versions! Excited for that tutorial…as well as the one for your painted plates! Your table is fun and festive, which is what this season is surely all about.

Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

Hugs, Lynn

19. Thank you for being part of the Christmas tablescape blog hop. Your table is divine! The colors are so fun, and I adore the different dishes you featured. It was so nice to see the fresh flowers, and all the fun pink hues you incorporated into the design!