How to decorate a fireplace mantel for fall – fireplace decor ideas

Posted in DECOR, Fall: Seasonal Decor and Crafts, LIVING ROOM
on September 12, 2017

Fireplace decor ideas for your Fall mantel.

fireplace decor ideas

It seems like just yesterday we were at the start of summer and I was waxing poetic about my wish for endless summers and sharing my summer fireplace decor ideas. Scratch that. Although I love the summer, it’s inevitable that when September rolls around, I’m yearning for sweaters, boots and apple cider. I feel like I blinked and here we are, surrounded by the scent of pumpkin spice, apple donuts and endless leaf raking – The pumpkin spice and donuts I’m all over, but the leaf raking.. after the first time, I’m totally over it!

This post contains affiliate links for your convenience

I love decorating my home for Fall.  I’d guess you do as well. It’s your lucky day because my blogging buddies and I are sharing our fireplace decor ideas for Fall for the Decorate your Mantel through the Year Series, hosted by my lovely friend, Amy. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post for all of the inspiration!

Fall Fireplace Decor Ideas for Your Mantel

I reuse many items in my home by moving them around from room to room or even using them in different ways from season to season. One thing never changes though, and that is the formula I follow when decorating my mantel.

knock it off kim get the look

Color

fireplace decor ideas - color palette

We all know I love the color. Most of my decorating start with my color palette, and it’s often inspired by something I’ve seen in my browsing travels. I LOVE to shop by honestly don’t buy nearly as much as I just look. Different than last year’s,  this year’s palette came from a table runner I found at Home Goods, in turquoise, orange, and red. There is a lot of navy in my home and added the navy in for good measure.

Plants

Depending on the season, I may use both live or artificial plants. This year it was easy to choose! These plants have lived most of the summer outdoors. With the temperatures dropping it was time for them to move inside.

fireplace decor ideas - elegant mantel decorating ideas

Accents

When decorating for Fall, think pumpkins. Think cozy. Think brilliant leaf colors. Did I mention cozy? You can never have too many soft, warm blankets to curl up with and an ottoman is always welcome when extra guests arrive. This little stool usually lives in the dining room/play room.

These fabric pumpkins are a fun and easy project. They are an inexpensive way to add cheery pops of color and texture. A few other pumpkins complete the scene.

fireplace decor ideas - easy pumpkin crafts

Unfortunately for my mantel-decorating-loving-heart, I have a giant TV right smack in the middle which limits the space I have available to make an impact. You work with what you have – I don’t worry whether or not I have identical objects on either end of the mantel. Instead, I  choose accents close in height and bulk, ensuring both sides of the fireplace are balanced.

To draw the eye away from the TV (ha!) I like to display prints on either side. These seaweed prints are a DIY that I’ll get around to sharing one of these days, but I found something very similar that you may like.

I have gotten more questions about my Hello Fall Pillow – it was a Target dollar aisle find from a few years ago and isn’t available, but you might like this one. If you’re up for creating your own, I’ve created a Hello Fall Printable in the same font and look like the pillow that is available for free to my subscribers.

I’m feeling the Fall spirit!

fireplace decor ideas - fall pillows

Ugh. I believe another leaf just fell. Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you were able to gather some ideas for your fireplace mantel. If you need me, you know where to find me – just follow the scents of pumpkin and apple and the trail of leaves!

Enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

Before you go, be sure to stop by all of these lovely lady’s blogs for more fall mantel inspiration!

fall mantel graphic

Pin it!

fireplace decor ideas- pin

pendant lighting - feature
fall pumpkin craft - feature

• Iris Nacole

Such a beautifully decorated fireplace!

September 12, 2017 at 5:31 pm Reply

Thanks so much, Iris!

September 13, 2017 at 12:33 pm Reply
  • Meg Green With Decor

Your mantel is so festive for fall! And I love that throw pillow!

September 12, 2017 at 9:43 pm Reply

Thanks, Meg! Fall is my favorite 🙂

September 13, 2017 at 12:33 pm Reply
  • Amy

I love those patterned pumpkins and the blue accents! Such a pretty combination for fall. Thank you for joining in on the hop, Kim!

September 13, 2017 at 10:16 am Reply

Thank you, Amy! It’s a little bit less traditional, but you know I love the color!

September 13, 2017 at 12:34 pm Reply
  • Emily

I always love seeing how you decorate because you do such a wonderful job with color! I love your teal & navy touches for fall – and those colorful pumpkins 🙂

September 13, 2017 at 2:21 pm Reply
  • Tara Lehman

Love all your colorful pumpkins Kim!

September 14, 2017 at 10:20 am Reply
  • Susie

Love all the colors and textures for Fall. You did a beautiful job on the pumpkins, too. Your mantel is beautiful. Enjoy the season! Susie from The Chelsea Project

September 16, 2017 at 4:51 am Reply
  • Michelle james

I love all the pretty colors & the pumpkins are so cool! Great tips for decorating around a television too. I always have trouble with that.

September 18, 2017 at 9:43 pm Reply