How to get an A+ in Fun with a Back to School Party Table

Posted in TABLETOP
on August 29, 2017

Make the grade with your family when you put together a celebratory and fun Back to School party table, using inexpensive items and things from around your home!

Back to School Party Table

In addition to pumpkins and crunchy, whirly twirly leaves, Fall means back to school. I know many of you are already back in class, but here in Virginia, we start back after Labor Day. This year is a bit different for us – we’ve decided to take a break from homeschooling with our youngest child. A lofty decision, to say the least, but one that feels right for us. Wish us luck and send tissues!

To celebrate Fall and the start of the new school year it seemed like a fun time to set a back to school party table to mark the occasion – you know how I love a good tablescape! Lucky me, Chloe from Celebrate & Decorate asked me to participate in a Fall tablescape right around the same time. Be sure to scroll down to see the other Fall tablescapes – there are new settings all week so check back often.

back to school party table - full length

*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Thanks for supporting Knock it Off Kim!

To add to the fun, I’ve added these fun cupcake toppers and place cards to my Goodies area, available to subscribers. You can get them here! Now on to the fun stuff!

Back to School Party Table Ideas

The Table Runner

A paper table runner in gold is the perfect backdrop for the magnetic letters borrowed from your kid.

Back to School party food - 1

A black flannel-back vinyl table cloth, cut to size, and placed over a flannel “shooting star” table cloth makes for a quick and chalkboard – and what school function is complete without a chalkboard?!

Use white drawing chalk to prepare the vinyl before writing on it and offer colored chalk as a fun alternative. Let everyone go nuts, writing on the board!

Back-to-School-party-table-chalkboard-table

The Centerpiece

Grocery store flowers add color and height to the table when displayed on a cake pedestal. A fun ceramic apple figurine is a perfect addition to the casual centerpiece.

Back to School party table - place setting

The Table Setting

I have fancy china, but hardly ever use it. Instead, I love to pair colorful dessert and salad plates with plain, white, every-day dinnerware.

Always check Target dollar aisles for cute back to school decor like the adorable pencil figures and apple clothespins below. Download these fun place cards here!

Back to School party table - place card pencil

Buffalo Check napkins keep things fun and add color.

Pairing measuring tape or ruler ribbon with alphabet letter beads makes a quick and easy napkin ring, especially when you use the beads to spell out school-related words. Use scotch tape around the edge of the ribbon to easily thread the beads.

Back-to-School-party-table-napkin-wraps-with-beads

Food Serving Ideas

Retro looking Milk Bottles with Tops and straws add color and a bit of pattern and are the perfect vessel for apple juice poured from a fun Mason Jar Drink Dispenser.

back to school party table ideas - mason jar drink despenser

Peanut Butter and Jelly – the quintessential school lunch!

Download these cupcake toppers here!

Back to School cupcake toppers

Other Decor

Using Paper Fans in your party decor is a simple, inexpensive way to bring in color and texture!

Back to School party table - paper fans

dream big close-up of centerpiece

back to school party table

I’ll be a little teary when they all get on the bus this year, but I’m so glad I’ll have the memories from the summer – and this little tablescape – to get me through the day.

Back to School party table

I hope you’ll be flying through your day, too! To help with that, don’t forget to stop by and take a peek at these other lovely Fall table settings.

Thanks for stopping by!

back to school party table - fall tablescape

Monday

Fall Tablescape - Monday Collage Bluesky Kitchen | My Thrift Store Addiction | My Kentucky Living |
Everyday Living | Home is Where the Boat Is

Tuesday

Rattlebridge Far  | Knock it Off Kim  | The Painted Apron
Savvy Apron  | Living With Thanksgiving

Wednesday

Sweet Sensations | Twelve On Main | Life and Linda |
Rosemary and Thyme

Thursday

Me and My Captain | Starfish Cottage | Our Crafty Mom
| Dining Delight | Celebrate and Decorate

Friday

Enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

• Mary

Such fun ideas for a back-to-school table! I always check out the Dollar Spot in Target to see what’s in store for the season. Love your fun details, including ruler ribbon, alphabet letter beads, magnetic letters and chalk at the table!

August 29, 2017 at 5:47 am Reply
  • Jenna Meon

This is adorable Kim! Back to school is a great theme for an early fall table, and you have incorporated so many delightful and creative touches! Good luck to your back to schooler this year~

August 29, 2017 at 8:09 am Reply
  • bonnie morgan

Such a fun and very creative tablescape. It is just oozing with layers of creativity. I know you were a great teacher.
    You scored an A+ on your tablescape.

August 29, 2017 at 8:20 am Reply
  • Cecilia

Absolutely adorable! I love the chalkboard tablecloth and your cute place cards and napkin rings! I’m really enjoying participating in the blog hop. Blessings, Cecilia

August 29, 2017 at 9:13 am Reply
  • Pam Richardson

Kim, what a fun and creative table for your children! I love all the details! Any child or adult would love to sit down , pick up chalk and write, and then enjoy PB&J’s! Best wishes as school begins!

August 29, 2017 at 10:20 am Reply
  • Carol Lander

Kim, not having kids around anymore I don’t think along these lines for a tablescape, but you have so many creative ideas that I may need to pretend my kids are little again. The chalk paint tablecover is so cute. I bet it keeps the kids busy between soup and sandwich. Using the magnetic letters was a great idea. Boy, that brings back memories!

August 29, 2017 at 10:28 am Reply
  • Kari Rogers-Miller

Kim, I love your back to school fall theme for your table. The attention to detail shows your creativity and makes your tablescape fun! Isn’t that what it is all about? I picked up the dollar “crayons” at my last trip to Target. Don’t know where I am going to use the large crayons but I will be ready when I decide. My grandchildren would be in 7th heaven at your table. Great job.

August 29, 2017 at 10:49 am Reply
  • Linda

Very cute table Kim. Love your creativity. The kids are going to love this with so many wonderful accessories. Happy fall to you.

August 29, 2017 at 11:43 am Reply
  • sheila

What a cute idea for back to school. I just loved to make fun tables too when my kids were little. Have a great school year.

August 29, 2017 at 11:45 am Reply
  • Sandra L Garth

This is a great interpretation of the theme and the kiddos must love it! Wish I had thought of something like this when my kids were little. Wishing you a happy school year!

August 29, 2017 at 3:38 pm Reply
  • Maureen

So adorable! Those napkin “rings” are genius. What a very special start to the school year 🙂

August 29, 2017 at 3:55 pm Reply
  • Rita C at Panoply

Perfect for kids, and kids at heart (or finicky eaters!).

August 29, 2017 at 5:25 pm Reply
  • Rattlebridge Farm

Vibrant and creative, packed with ideas! From the darling napkin ites to the vibrant fans, your table is gorgeous!

August 29, 2017 at 5:52 pm Reply
  • Chloe Crabtree

Oh Kim, what an adorable take on a fall tablescape! I am very long past school days, but will have to share this with my daughter in a few years when my granddaughters head off to school. This is such a fun and cute way to make the kids have a special dinner before that all important first day of school! All of the details you created are so cute and in keeping with your theme, the napkin holders, the place cards! Thank you so much for being a part of the tablescape blog hop!

August 30, 2017 at 9:59 am Reply
  • Tammy

What a great table! Perfect for this time of year and all the back to school fun! My kiddos would love it! Thank you for sharing!

August 30, 2017 at 10:02 am Reply
  • Lori

Great theme for a tablescape at this time of year! You’ve made going back to school seem like so much fun. Fantastic ideas on the table runner and using kid’s magnetic letters as well as the napkin holders and placecards. Wishing your youngest all the best in the transition to school outside the home (and you too!)

August 30, 2017 at 4:12 pm Reply
  • Janet

This table is adorable Kim! What a fun and unique theme for an early fall table. Any kid would love sitting at this table. So many fun touches!!! A very special start to the new school year.

It was fun joining you on this blog hop.

Janet

August 30, 2017 at 8:15 pm Reply
  • sara s syrett

What a fun idea! My kids would love it!

August 31, 2017 at 12:29 am Reply
  • Christine

What a fun table, loving the details. Those napkin holders are the cutest!

September 1, 2017 at 9:07 am Reply
  • Kristy Seibert

Your back to school theme table is so cute! I LOVE that idea… everything turned out beautiful and I am sure your family loved it. So fun blog-hopping with you this week!

September 2, 2017 at 8:07 am Reply
  • Michelle james

Kim, what a fun idea!! I bet your kids just loved it! I adore the back to School theme! I really enjoyed hopping with you all!

September 4, 2017 at 8:17 pm Reply