Colorful Views of a Fun Functional Foyer {Room by Room Summer Showcase – Week One}

Posted in DECOR
on June 27, 2017

Hi! Come on in! Welcome to our home – I’m glad you’ve dropped in! I’m so excited to be starting this Room by Room Summer Showcase, hosted by Amy of My Life From Home. My friends and I will be sharing one room in our homes per week, starting with the front entrance – which makes sense if you think about it – through August 15th. You’ll get to see the good, the bad, and the ugly. And, rest assured, in my home, there will be ugly!
For me, the foyer is the perfect place to kick-off this showcase, as it’s not only the main entrance to our home but after it’s most recent make-over, it’s also my favorite room. The honeymoon period is far from over, AND it’s the only room in my home that I don’t have a running list of things I’d like to change!
*This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclaimer for more information. Thanks for supporting Knock it Off Kim!
For a full recap of the projects we were able to tackle in the entryway, check out the final reveal, but for today, let me introduce you to the area – don’t worry about your shoes – feel free to leave them on.

We like the spaces in our home to be a little bit whimsical, with bursts of color and pattern, starting with our front door! The bright blue greets us whether we are saying hello or goodbye.

Our front entrance is a bit awkward – the staircase takes up a significant part of the foyer. It also connects to four other rooms – talk about doorway central. But, it’s light, bright and with a recent bout of design ingenuity – think floating furniture –  now, it also provides ample storage, as well as a place to sit!
The floating entryway table provides display and drop space, and closed storage for seasonal items, as well as our pet’s items, such as his leash. The table’s modern design is a refreshing change in our ultra-traditional style home. It’s floating design saves enough space for two small cube ottomans.
Our staircase makeover is one of the projects we are most proud. Although a time-consuming project, the finished result is worth every minute of effort. If you click on over, you can see how we transformed the entire staircase using paint and a whole lot of elbow grease!

A stair painting tutorial

Stairs from top down with painted runner

A few years ago we did some work on the hall closet, taking out the closet bar and installing shelves for shoes, along with coat hooks. With so many of us in one home, hooks made much more sense for keeping things neat and orderly. After some years this solution is still working for us!
coat closet makeover view 1
coat closet makeover view 1
Of course, as I’m walking you through this room, I’m creating a list of things that I could change, which I’ll take as a sign to move on. I hope you’ll stop by next week when I’ll be sharing a tour of our kitchen. I don’t love that room nearly as much. 🙂

Thanks again to Amy of My Life From Home for hosting this showcase! In the meantime, be sure to check out all of the front entryway eye candy from my friends!

Enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

Decorate a room over time using accents that are meaningful

• Roxanne

I love what you’ve done with this space, especially that amazing staircase!

June 27, 2017 at 9:57 pm Reply
  • Kelly

It’s all so beautiful – and that staircase is AH-MAZING!
    Best,
    Kelly

June 29, 2017 at 5:39 am Reply
  • Meg Green With Decor

I just love your foyer – that floating piece is perfect! I love the closet walls, too, and the hooks provide such great storage! Great yellow mirror, too!

June 29, 2017 at 3:26 pm Reply
  • Amy

I love your foyer! Your stairs are amazing and it’s so beautiful with all the colors. Thank you so much for participating in our series!

July 1, 2017 at 3:17 pm Reply
  • Vicki and Jennifer 2 Bees in a Pod

Your staircase is gorgeous. We also love the floating table…that is genius!

July 3, 2017 at 8:16 am Reply
  • Emily

I love the updates you’ve made to your foyer! The colors are so cheerful, and I will never cease to be impressed with the makeover you gave to your stairs!

July 3, 2017 at 4:45 pm Reply
  • Erin

This is such a fun and inviting space, Kim! I love how you mixed colors and patterns. And those stairs!!! Wow!

July 4, 2017 at 10:36 pm Reply
  • Kati

Love your entryway. The floating console table with the covered ottomans is brilliant! I want to add some ottomans to my entry now. And I also love your blue door. The perfect pop of color!

July 6, 2017 at 4:46 pm Reply