One Room Challenge {Inexpensive Foyer Make-over} The Reveal

I’m so excited to share the results of my inexpensive foyer makeover for the One Room Challenge, completed just six (actually five) short weeks (gasp)!

YAY! A few weeks back – six to be exact – I shared my plans to make-over my foyer for my third One Room ChallengeAlthough I get a big fat fail on updating you on the progress of said make-over, I hope you’ll forgive me when you’ve seen what I’ve accomplished. For all the pretty pictures, keep scrolling for major Before & After action!

THE BEFORE

Let’s start at the beginning. My foyer, while not horrendous, felt incomplete and didn’t compliment and flow into the adjoining rooms. The area didn’t reflect our style. More than anything it had carpeted stairs – I hate carpet on the stairs!

THE NOW

As you can tell, we’ve made a few changes. 🙂

MUCH NEEDED STAIRCASE MAKE-OVER// We removed the carpet from the stairs, during which I spent a lot of time wishing I’d vacuumed more often #gross. After a whole lot of filling and sanding on the stair treads, we painted and stenciled the entire area. During that process, it seemed like a good idea to continue the board and batten already in the foyer up to the wall of the staircase as well. That had not been in the initial plan, but it made sense.

LIGHT FIXTURE// The light fixture WAS terrible. I found a way-out-of-my-budget gorgeous light fixture at Anthropologie but was able to make my own version upcycling a thrift store light fixture straight out of the 80s!  You can find the full tutorial here, or, can download a printable version!

free printable guide_acrylic discs

DIY FLOATING CONSOLE TABLE AND OTTOMANS // With only enough space for a console table in the front entrance, there wasn’t any for seating. To get around this, we decided on a DIY floating console table that would allow for ottomans underneath. CLICK HERE FOR THE TUTORIAL!

PET STATION// We needed a pet station to store leashes and business-bags. Luckily, the new and larger floating table allowed for both storing our pet leashes and business-bags, as well as the necessary hat and glove storage.

MODERN ECLECTIC ACCENTS // I found a few accents at Target, with the once-black mirror getting a quick paint job.

RUG // I went through more than one rug during this project. An awkward space, the entry way in my home, requires a 4’x6′ rug that I found hard to find. I settled on this wide-striped rug, also found at Target, in a 5’x8′ and customized it to my space. I’ll be sharing a tutorial on how to customize a rug in another post. The indoor/outdoor carpet ensures it will hold up to the steady traffic and will be easy to keep clean.

PAINTED DOOR // The added bold blue to the door completed the project!

THE DESIGN INFLUENCE // The foyer is flanked by four – yes, four – other rooms,  all that have received more of our love and attention.

The office and living room are both ongoing projects that are slowly evolving to the look and feel we strive for. We recently updated the powder room, and of course, made-over the Dining room/playroom during my first One Room Challenge. Every room has elements of my favorite style – a mostly neutral palette with a mostly traditional vibe, but with a side of the eclectic and whimsy. Don’t forget the mandatory splashes of bold color and pattern!

And now.. the foyer is in perfect balance with them all!

One more time!

BEFORE

AFTER

I couldn’t be more thrilled with the results! a HUGE Thank you to Linda for organizing the One Room Challenge. The One Room Challenge is a LOT of hard work, but it’s also ridiculously fun for me.  I’m so grateful to be able to do what I love and to be able to share it all with you.  It’s pretty much my favorite.

rather buy than diy

Thanks so much for taking a look! If you’ve liked this post, consider following me on Social Media or subscribing to make sure you don’t miss anything.

Facebook // Pinterest // Instagram // Twitter // Google+

Enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

Pin it!

• Delia Gibbs

May 11, 2017 at 8:07 pm

I love it! Such a cool space. I love the illusion created by the stair stencil…so pretty.

1. admin

May 12, 2017 at 10:36 am

Thank you, Delia! I’d originally planned to stencil the back of the treads as well but ain’t nobody got time for all of that! I liked this look just as well without all of the extra work.

• Roxanne

May 11, 2017 at 8:26 pm

I love your gorgeous staircase! This looks beautiful, the yellow mirror really pops against that gray wall!

1. admin

May 12, 2017 at 10:37 am

Thanks, Roxanne! And thank you for all of the encouragement on the yellow – what would I do without y’all? <3

• Robin

May 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Those stairs! You’ve been so busy! The whole area looks phenomenal!

1. admin

May 12, 2017 at 10:38 am

Thanks, Robin! I have! Not writing posts! haha These challenges are all-consuming but oh so fun!

• Cassie Bustamante

May 12, 2017 at 7:29 am

i LOVE the more modern look and that floating piece! and that light- oh wow what a great statement! i can’t believe it was a DIY!

1. admin

May 12, 2017 at 10:39 am

Thanks so much, Cassie! I can’t either – I was shocked at how well the light turned out – I’m a little obsessed with it. Tutorial coming soon!

• Amy

May 12, 2017 at 7:54 am

It’s beautiful, Kim!! I love all the elements and the yellow mirror just pops! Great job!

1. admin

May 12, 2017 at 10:41 am

Thank you, Amy! You guys are the best encouragement ever – I was so not sure about the yellow, but you were all right!

• April R – Uncookie Cutter

May 12, 2017 at 10:27 am

I can’t get over how good those stairs look!! Love the colors and the mirror turned out wonderful! Great job!

1. admin

May 12, 2017 at 11:00 am

Thanks April! You know I love my color! Another ORC – done. Virtual high-five!

• Jessica Vanderveen

May 12, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Great job! I’m sure those stairs were a ton of work!

• Nicole Q-Schmitz

May 13, 2017 at 11:09 am

Whoa I love the floating console and seating idea – plus those ottomans are AMAZING! I also liked that you continued the board and batten up the stairs

• Emy

May 13, 2017 at 5:10 pm

What a transformation! The light fixture is stunning!

• Erin- Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

May 15, 2017 at 8:40 am

Wow! That staircase is incredible!!! I, too, hate carpet on the staircase, and you came up with such a beautiful solution. I also love that blue door! Great job!

• mary

May 15, 2017 at 11:58 am

I LOVE the stenciled stairs! I have ripped the carpet off the basement stairs, but had not decided on a paint/color for them yet. I am pinning this for inspiration! And that light fixture is AMAZING!

• Emily

May 18, 2017 at 12:23 pm

Kim, your foyer looks amazing!!!! I can’t believe the transformation to your stairs! Wow!! Love the stencil, the new board and batten, your DIY light fixture, floating console… all of it 🙂

• Kristin

May 19, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Love all of the pops of color with that gorgeous mirror and light fixture. I love your ORC makeover, great work! Kristin @ Postbox Designs

• Erlene

May 20, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Wow, that is amazing and you did so much DIY! Love it and can’t wait to see how you made the light fixture.

• Jenn(ifer)

May 29, 2017 at 4:52 am

Great transformation! Your dalmatian walls are my inspiration for an upcoming project…
    I especially love those ottomans – are they a DIY too?
    Greetings from Germany
    Jenn(ifer)

1. admin

May 29, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Hi Jenn – Thanks so much! I’d love to see your completed project. I still love the print so much and hope you’ll be happy with it as well! The ottomans are a DIY that I hope to share in the next few weeks. Would you like me to send you an email when it’s posted? I honestly was getting pretty tired by the time I made them and would have been happy to just buy a pair but I couldn’t find any floral patterns that I liked. I ended up finding the fabric at Hobby Lobby – not sure if you can order it or not, but in case –

1. Jenn(ifer)

May 30, 2017 at 4:14 am

Thanks Kim!
        I’ll just add you to my reader 😉
        I plan to stencil a sofa in the dalmatian design (this one: http://heim-elich.blogspot.de/2016/10/schlafsofa.html, the mirror is green now…)
        I think the hobby lobby fabric would have worked well for the courtains in there, but I just bought this – it was actually delivered yesterday – and I am quite happy with that as well
        Unfortuantely the whole room is not at the top of the list right now since it’s the season foor outdoor projects…

1. admin

May 30, 2017 at 10:36 pm

That is going to look AMAZING – even if it is in the Fall! You are definitely a girl after my own heart with all of that color and pattern. The fabric you chose for the curtains is very similar to that on my ottomans and actually a bit more dramatic with the black background. Love the idea for the green mirror as well.