Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration – $100 Room Challenge: Week 1

Blog post

Making-over your small bathroom? This post is full of small modern bathroom inspiration! Come along as I transform my traditional style bathroom into a chic modern bathroom style!

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration

These small bathroom decor ideas can help you to transform your powder room from a traditional style to a modern bathroom design on a $100 budget!

Hi, friends! Thanks so much for taking a walk down memory lane with me during my Best and Missed of 2016! It’s always so fun for me to take a moment to see all that we were able to accomplish over the year. After putting away all of the Holiday decorations, everything in my home looks a bit empty. Those spaces I’ve been putting off tackling are even more evident to me now that I’ve fewer pretty distractions. I’m so ready to jump feet first into the New Year and new projects!

100 Room Challenge Graphic

But, of course, it’s January. January is right smack-dab in-between the Fall One Room Challenge and the Spring One Room Challenge, times when I’d be taking on full room projects. This could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. But, given that we just finished with Christmas, I’m choosing to look at it as a very, very good thing! I have plenty of time to participate in this month’s $100 Room Challenge, hosted by Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry! Scroll to the bottom of this post for the full list of everyone who is participating, as well as the rooms they’ll be making over.

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration-before mirror
If you’re looking for the full story on what exactly a $100 Room Challenge is, Erin spells it out clearly, but I’ll give you the paraphrased version. Pick a room. Make the room over in one month. Spend no more than $100.

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration

You guys, I’m SO EXCITED!

I decided to tackle my powder room – Lordy, does it need help!

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration - before vanity

This room has been a work in progress for some years.

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration - before vanity 2

I repainted the vanity a few years ago, and we replaced the sink and counter, as well as the hardware, and we’ve painted it recently, but the room has no character at all – save for that Christmas hand towel that apparently got left behind in the Christmas decoration purge! Oops!

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration 4

In addition to being the bathroom our guests use #embarassing, my children also use this bathroom to do their hair – teen girls – and brush their teeth. Apparently, an entire football team cleans their teeth at this sink with all of those toothbrushes!

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration - storage issues

It’s also our storage for first aid, Halloween make-up, and a million other things bathroom related that we’re too lazy to lug upstairs. With all of that, there isn’t nearly enough storage.  And, yes, that is toothpaste on the floor.

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration - major storage issues

Excuse the mess – this is real life!

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration - rug
Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration - light fixture

I’m sticking with the existing vanity, sink, and faucet. I’m not sure about the mirror. Everything else is open to change. I’ve been busy gathering ideas on Pinterest, but I’m still working some things out.

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration - boring art

This is my wishlist, but it’s not likely I’m going to stay within budget and still get all of this stuff done. However, I’m going to try!

WHAT WE NEED TO DO

1. Add some bold pattern to the walls – I’d love to wallpaper, but I don’t think that’s going to be in my budget. Perhaps a stenciled pattern instead.
  2. Find a better solution for toothbrushes and hand towels. Maybe shelves over the toilet?
  3. Organize- We do not have a medicine cabinet anywhere in the house, but we do have a significant amount of unused space behind the bathroom door that could be put to good use for this purpose! Purging can’t hurt either.
  4. Change the artwork – I love the birds and may keep them, but I would like artwork with a little more presence.
  5. Replace the trash can, toothbrush holder, and towel bar.
  6. Create storage for hair products.
  7. Consider replacing the rug – I love the carpet, but I may end up replacing it if it doesn’t go with the wall treatment.
  8. Change the lighting – It’s not awful, but if it’s in the budget I’d love to do something fun and funky with mini pendants.
  9. Paint the vanity
  10. Update the mirror

NEXT STEPS

With a budget of $100 I’m going to have to get creative, I’m going to have to be crafty, and I’m going to have to be much more careful on what and where I spend my money. Can you say no vanilla lattes?

*This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure statement.

Here’s what I’m thinking – It’s either going to be this:

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration - bold wallpaper
Succulent Print – Minted // Umbra Wall Planters – Amazon // Mirror – Walmart // Hand Towels – Amazon // Rug – Amazon

Or this:

Small Modern Bathroom Inspiration

Each week for the next four weeks I’ll be sharing my progress with you – I hope you’ll follow along! So, without further adieu, let’s get this party started!

Week 1 // Week 2 // Week 3 // Week 4
Before you go, take a look at all of these other fabulous participants.

If you would like to follow along with the $100 Room Challenge, you can subscribe via email HERE and never miss a post.
You can also find me on Social Media.

Facebook // Pinterest // Instagram // Twitter // Google+

Don’t forget it, Pin It!

small modern bathroom inspiration pin

• Marty@A Stroll Thru Life

January 4, 2017 at 9:19 am

Can't wait to see what you do. I need to makeover our powder room so I will be following along with all of you.

• Deborah Sommerlot

January 4, 2017 at 10:13 am

Oh, that's going to be so lovely. We are also taking on a bath.

• Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

January 4, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I SO love real life pictures! You have wonderful ideas for this space. I know $100 might not get everything on your wish list (I have a light fixture on mine. Hmmm… for $100?), but think of how far we'll come 🙂 Can't wait to follow your progress!

• Zografia Avgerou

January 4, 2017 at 3:59 pm

That's a lot of stuff for that small space! Making an accent wall will add a lot of character for sure!

• Timeless Creations, LLC

January 4, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Oooh! I love your inspirations! We are doing a bathroom as well, and is about the plainest space ever. Can't wait to see all you do! P.S. love that rug, but can understand it might not match with a stencil.

• Meredith Wouters

January 5, 2017 at 12:17 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who always leaves a piece of Christmas decor behind! Can't wait too see how your plans come together!

• Patti Estep

January 5, 2017 at 8:14 am

Hi Kim,
    The powder room is a great room to tackle and it looks like you are full of wonderful ideas. Looking forward to seeing it.

• Brittany

January 5, 2017 at 11:22 am

Great inspiration board!!

• I Am a Homemaker

January 5, 2017 at 11:41 am

Can't wait to see the green in your mood board come to life!

• Maria Brittis

January 5, 2017 at 5:14 pm

This is so much fun! I am getting a kick finding buys! Love the choices for your bath!
    Should be a blast of a bath. 🙂
    Maria

• Monica Benavidez

January 7, 2017 at 5:40 pm

I love the direction you're going in! I think organization will be a challenge, but I think it'll all come together.

• Carrie @ lovely etc.

January 8, 2017 at 8:58 pm

I love your mood board and you have some really great ideas! I can't wait to see it all come together.

• Kathy@ uptodateinteriors.com

January 10, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Your inspiration board is amazing! Can't wait to see the transformation in your powder room and on such a tight budget!

• Angie at Postcards from the Ridge

January 12, 2017 at 7:28 am

I love your ideas for this room and can't wait to see how it all turns out!

• Sara Syrett

January 16, 2017 at 3:00 pm

I love your design plan! I cant wait to see how it turns out!