How to make a statement with a DIY Stencil Wallpaper – $100 Room Challenge Week 3
Create a bold statement in your small modern bathroom with a DIY stencil and paint treatment that anyone can make with just a home printer!
Hi, friends! It’s week 3 of the $100 Room Challenge, and I’m behind! If you’re joining in for the first time, be sure to pop over to week one for the full lowdown on the $100 Room Challenge! The quick and dirty version? Pick a room. Make the room over in one month. Spend no more than $100. Huge thanks to Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry for putting together such a fun event!
I’ve chosen to make-over my, more than neglected, powder room. The first week I shared my inspiration board which included a lot of bold navy and green pattern with strong accents. Last week, I talked about my inability to trust my fearless instincts, taking the safe way out and eventually making my way back to bold, which left off with me stenciling a bold navy pattern. Here’s the thing. I didn’t like the pattern. Upon walking into the bathroom to work on it, and I’d just keep making that same meh sound. If I continued I’d eventually end up hating it, so I just sat on it, surfing the web looking for inspiration. Then, one night, I came across this loveliness from Caitlin Wilson, and for the first time since the beginning, I was really and truly excited rather than trying to get myself excited!
|Source – Caitlin Wilson Navy Spotted Wallpaper|
The wallpaper itself was a bit pricey for this challenge, so, I decided to come up with a different solution, mimicking the pattern. Here is what I did.
How to Create a bold statement with an easy printed DIY stencil
First, I printed off a copy of the pattern, printing it over 3×3 8.5″x11″ sheets of printer paper. I matched up the pattern then used a sharp utility knife to cut a hole in the paper pattern on each mark, using a bigger hole for the larger dots.
Then, I taped the stencil on the wall, and used a washable marker to mark each splotch , creating a larger circle to signify the larger splotches.
When done, I painted each blue mark with the same “Compass Blue” used on the vanity using a 1″ brush, following up with a small paintbrush to smooth things over and to add dots in a random pattern. Yes, that is my son’s paintbrush. It’s perfect for the job – no judging!
I’m so glad I continued my search for a look that I love, and I can’t get over how easy it was to achieve!
As for the challenge, that’s one thing off the list! Actually a few – believe it or not, that is our original wood framed mirror with a silver – err aluminum foil – leaf finish. Take a look at how I finished it off!
The vanity also received a quick paint job using my new favorite paint, Behr Marquee, in “Compass Blue” eggshell finish (one coat, y’all!). New ultra sleek and modern pulls and a quick spray paint of the hinges with Rustoleum Silver in a hammer finish completed the update.
I still have a TON to do but I’m feeling happy about how it’s looking so far, and I’m confident that I’ll finish on time! Let’s check our progress: