How to make a statement with a DIY Stencil Wallpaper – $100 Room Challenge Week 3

Posted in BATHROOMS, PAINT TREATMENTS, tutorial
on January 19, 2017

Create a bold statement in your small modern bathroom with a DIY stencil and paint treatment that anyone can make with just a home printer!

DIY Stencil Pin

Hi, friends! It’s week 3 of the $100 Room Challenge, and I’m behind! If you’re joining in for the first time, be sure to pop over to week one for the full lowdown on the $100 Room Challenge! The quick and dirty version? Pick a room. Make the room over in one month. Spend no more than $100. Huge thanks to Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry for putting together such a fun event!

Week 1 // Week 2 // Week 3 // Week 4

I’ve chosen to make-over my, more than neglected, powder room. The first week I shared my inspiration board which included a lot of bold navy and green pattern with strong accents. Last week, I talked about my inability to trust my fearless instincts, taking the safe way out and eventually making my way back to bold, which left off with me stenciling a bold navy pattern. Here’s the thing. I didn’t like the pattern. Upon walking into the bathroom to work on it, and I’d just keep making that same meh sound. If I continued I’d eventually end up hating it, so I just sat on it, surfing the web looking for inspiration. Then, one night, I came across this loveliness from Caitlin Wilson, and for the first time since the beginning, I was really and truly excited rather than trying to get myself excited!

Source – Caitlin Wilson Navy Spotted Wallpaper

The wallpaper itself was a bit pricey for this challenge, so, I decided to come up with a different solution, mimicking the pattern. Here is what I did.

How to Create a bold statement with an easy printed DIY stencil

First, I printed off a copy of the pattern, printing it over 3×3 8.5″x11″ sheets of printer paper. I matched up the pattern then used a sharp utility knife to cut a hole in the paper pattern on each mark, using a bigger hole for the larger dots.

DIY Stencil wallpaper with paint
Then, I taped the stencil on the wall, and used a washable marker to mark each splotch , creating a larger circle to signify the larger splotches.

When done, I painted each blue mark with the same “Compass Blue” used on the vanity using a 1″ brush, following up with a small paintbrush to smooth things over and to add dots in a random pattern. Yes, that is my son’s paintbrush. It’s perfect for the job – no judging!

To finish things off, I added a piece of 1.5″ chair rail.

I’m so glad I continued my search for a look that I love, and I can’t get over how easy it was to achieve!

As for the challenge, that’s one thing off the list! Actually a few – believe it or not, that is our original wood framed mirror with a silver – err aluminum foil – leaf finish. Take a look at how I finished it off!

The vanity also received a quick paint job using my new favorite paint, Behr Marquee, in “Compass Blue” eggshell finish (one coat, y’all!). New ultra sleek and modern pulls and a quick spray paint of the hinges with Rustoleum Silver in a hammer finish completed the update.

I still have a TON to do but I’m feeling happy about how it’s looking so far, and I’m confident that I’ll finish on time! Let’s check our progress:

TODO LIST

1. Add some bold pattern to the walls.
  2. Find a better solution for toothbrushes and hand towels.
  3. Organize
  4. Change the artwork
  5. Replace the trash can, toothbrush holder, and towel bar.
  6. Create storage for hair products.
  7. Consider replacing the rug
  8. Change the lighting
  9. Paint the vanity
  10. Update the mirror

So.. maybe I’m not feeling so confident after all. Eek! Lucky for me I am a craft and building supply hoarder, so even if I’m not optimistic about getting it all done, I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to stay in budget. I hope.

Want to see where we started? You can check here!

Week 1 // Week 2 // Week 3 // Week 4

My current budget:
First week: $0
Second Week: Stencil:  $12
Third Week: Behr Marquee Paint Sample $4
Door Pulls $12
___________________
$72
Make sure to stop by next week for the BIG REVEAL! Wish me luck, and be sure to check out the progress of my friends and their make-overs!

DIY Stencil Painted Wallpaper

Enter your email address to subscribe to Knock it Off Kim for non-stop fun!

You can also find me on Social Media.
Facebook//Pinterest//Instagram//Twitter//Google+

Bathroom Makeover View from the door

• Natalie Dixon

I LOVE this new direction! I saw a similar wallpaper pattern not too long ago and am debating trying it in my office. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

January 19, 2017 at 11:11 pm Reply
  • Zografia Avgerou

I love your new "wallpaper". The room already looks awesome!

January 20, 2017 at 9:24 am Reply
  • Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

Ahhhh!!! (That's a happy scream 🙂 )I absolutely LOVE what you decided to do. Not good when you're feeling meh about a space. I love the pattern, and at first, I thought about how expensive wallpaper was, but painting the pattern? Brilliant! Everything looks amazing! Cannot wait to see the reveal next week.

January 20, 2017 at 10:06 am Reply
  • Timeless Creations, LLC

Oh wow! I am loving this new look! So glad you just sat on the old idea, and then found a new pattern you just loved. Always got to listen to yourself.

January 22, 2017 at 9:12 pm Reply
  • Patti Estep

Oh my! I would have never thought about mimicking that wallpaper. Truly genius! Can't wait to see it all next week!

January 24, 2017 at 7:57 am Reply
  • Amy Ellis

Love that you created the template yourself!! With the gilded mirror and blue cabinet, it looks high end, for real. Can't wait to see the reveal.

January 25, 2017 at 1:20 am Reply