One Room Challenge – Week 2 – The Game {Room} Plan

Posted in DECOR, DIY, GAME ROOM, MAKEOVER CHALLENGES
on October 13, 2016

Hey, all! In the midst of Halloween season, and that’s what it’s become for me, I am plugging along with our new Game room!

In case you missed last week, we are once again a willing and excited linking participant in the One Room Challenge hosted by Calling It Home. We are feverishly making over what we hope will be an inviting and dramatic – in all the best ways – Game Room. For those of you who are new here and visiting from Calling It Home, welcome! I’m so glad to meet you, and I hope you’ll take a look around! #wave

Last week we talked a bit about the before and our reasons for taking on this challenge. This week, I wanted to spend a bit more time talking about what we’re going to do to make this the game room of our dreams!

To explain, I thought it would help to share the layout of the room. Please, excuse my ultra-simple diagram made using this website.

The room isn’t large as far as rec rooms go, but it’s substantial enough to provide what we need as far as space. What we lack in floor space we make up for in storage space – the ceiling is sloped, and there is a good 4-5 foot behind the walls on each side. The space isn’t large enough for a room as the dormers make it impossible to stand upright, but the extra space will enable us to build much of the furniture as built-ins, therefore leaving us with maximum floor space.

Here is our To-Do List:

1. Built-in storage bench seating with bookshelves

2. Add a built-in snack bar with wine and spirits area
3. Add a built-in Media cabinet for a TV and other components
4. Create an organized craft-supply closet
5. Bold geometric wallpaper
6. Board and Batten wall trim throughout
7. Dart Board
8. Black Gloss Ceiling
9. Convertible sofa or sofa bed
10. Move and refelt the pool table

My new craft closet is nearly finished – I’m super excited! Just a few finishing touches and I’ll consider it complete. Here is a sneak peek.

We were able to get a good start on some of the built-ins this week. I’ve finished the storage bench and we just put the trim on the media cabinet this morning. The ceiling has a first coat of paint as well. Everything looks.. well.. really unfinished!

There are still a few unknowns that I’m hoping will work themselves out once the pool table has been moved into place. I’m undecided on the rug and whether or not we’ll use one, as well as the ottoman.

The winning design as of the moment is #3! I pretty much want to marry that green sofa. No lie. The billiards light is one we’ve actually had for quite a while and it has sentimental value. There are a few other things I’ll be adding in that also pull on my heart strings.

We are lucky to have some amazing and generous sponsors on board as well, and materials are pouring in every day – including that amazing wallpaper!

I’m hoping to have some serious progress to show you next week. Wish me luck!

Wondering where to start? The best place is always the beginning!
Halloween Shirt Ideas

• Brittany

Absolutely love that wallpaper…I was hoping it was a fabric so I could get some for myself!

October 13, 2016 at 11:52 am Reply
  • Refashionably Late

Love the built ins and what a great space saver!

October 13, 2016 at 1:14 pm Reply
  • Amanda @ Love & Renovations

Ooooh so excited that's the design you chose! This room is going to be awesome!

October 13, 2016 at 1:24 pm Reply
  • Emily @ Two Purple Couches

Your plans sound awesome! I love the sneak peek at the ceiling too! What a WOW! factor that will be!!

October 13, 2016 at 6:00 pm Reply
  • Rachel Beach

Your ideas are so fun! The craft closet looks like its going to be great!

October 14, 2016 at 1:08 am Reply
  • Maria Brittis

Looks like someone is having fun! You have your hands full on this one, but as always its going to look so stylish.
    Maria

October 14, 2016 at 3:15 am Reply
  • Ashley Mayes

You made lots of progress!! Can't wait to see more.

October 14, 2016 at 12:12 pm Reply
  • Uncookie Cutter

Ahh, it's looking so good!!!!! I can't believe how much you've gotten done. I think the layout you've gone with is perfect.

October 14, 2016 at 1:07 pm Reply
  • Meg - Green With Decor

So jealous your craft closet is complete, I'm working on mine! And I love that green sofa!!

October 14, 2016 at 2:13 pm Reply
  • Jessica | Petal + Ply

Your plan looks great and the built-in looks perfect! Nothing like tucked away and pretty storage.

October 14, 2016 at 6:47 pm Reply
  • Iris Watts

This is making me want to rip open some walls and add some true built-ins to some of the spaces in my house too! Loving thing plan, and can't wait for more updates!

October 15, 2016 at 11:48 am Reply
  • Sarah Pawlak

Oh I LOVE that wallpaper! And the builtins look great. Can't wait to see more updates next week!

October 15, 2016 at 1:19 pm Reply
  • Ariel Garneau

Looking forward to seeing the progress! That wallpaper will look fantastic once it's up

October 20, 2016 at 3:04 am Reply