Fall Hanging Basket Ideas – Fall Garden Tour 2016

These fall plant ideas, perfect in a hanging basket, are an inexpensive and easy way to bring color to your front porch for the Autumn months!

fall plants for hanging baskets

Fall Plants for Autumn Hanging Baskets

Hey, Y’all! It’s been all about the fall around here lately, and that is not going to stop! I’m here to talk to you today about the plants I chose for my latest hanging basket. With the first day of Fall behind us, it might be time to think about updating your hanging planters with flowers and plants that will take you right into the cooler temperatures that are just around the corner.

Last week I showed you the inside of my home where I added a few – OK a lot – of Fall touches. Today it’s all about the outside of my house, and clearly, my planter needs some help! I’ve put together a printable planting guide available for download. Get the free Fall Hanging Basket Planting Guide printable right here!

RELATED: GET THE FREE FALL HANGING BASKET PLANTING GUIDE

It all starts with the plants

Here are a few ideas for containers that are also perfect for Fall. For best results, be sure to determine your zone I’m in zone 7, hence the list is for plants that will thrive in my area.  When selecting plants, be sure to refer to the plant info (can be found on the stick in the plant).

Here is what I look for in a plant:

1. Needs infrequent watering – I don’t always remember to water them
  2. Can take a bit of shade because my porch has an overhang and therefore very little sunlight gets to them
  3. Can take a little bit of a frost.

When planning for my hanging basket,  I look for a cascading or a low plant variety to start, a large or taller size plant and a medium size plant. I tend to buy the plants in odd-numbered amounts rather than even because I find that it’s easier to space the plants out.

Here are some options:

• Coral Bells
  • Mums
  • Turtlehead (zones 4-9)
  • Monkshood (zones 3-7)
  • Sweet autumn clematis (zones 4-9)
  • Aster (zones 4-8)
  • Toad Lily ( zones 4-9)
  • Golden Rod (4-9)
  • Russian Sage (5-9)
  • Perennial Sunflower
  • Sedum (4 – 9)
  • Japanese Anemone (zones 4-8)
  • Decorative Cabbage and Kale
  • Wirevine
  • White Clover
  • Creeping Jenny
  • Lambs Ear’s
  • Calibrachoa
  • Pansies

Now it’s time to get busy! This is what I used to create my planter:

plants for fall planters

It’s a bit tough to find flowers that cascade for a flower basket for fall so instead I opted for a potato vine and it’s chartreuse foliage.  It’s an annual where I live, which means that it will die off when the weather gets too cold, but for now, it will add a much-needed pop of color to the basket. For this basket, I used three 4-inch pots.

For my large plant, I used a ‘Sunsparkler Dazzleberry’ sedum which has an upright habit, and will get to be about 18 inches tall and will not spread a whole lot. I purchased one to use in the center of the basket.

autumn hanging baskets

For my medium-sized plants, I went with pansies in two different colors – ‘Matrix Orange’ and ‘Red w/blotch.’ I purchased two cell-packs which gave me 12 plants and only used nine of them. The rest is put into a small pot to sit on the table outside on my porch.

My container is a semi-circle. With only a front view to worry about planting was a cinch. If you’re using a round planter, I’d recommend doubling. To plant a semi-circle planter, begin by adding a small amount of soil to your lined container. Plant your cascading plants towards the front edge of your basket, being sure to leave sufficient room between plants. Next, add your center, or tall plant. Last, add your medium height plants between the tall and cascading plants, filling in any space. Add soil in and around all the plants. Water well then hang!

plant ideas for fall hanging baskets
fall-hanging-basket-knockitoffkim-sq

To finish off my Fall porch, I added a few other accessories.

Mums lining the walkway ensure a beautiful view to the front door.

fall-hanging-planter-ideas

Pumpkins always say Fall is here.

front-porch-hanging-baskets

Throw pillows and blankets in warm colors add a pop of color and texture.

fall-hanging-basket-for-shade
Chair Makeover
fall-hanging-basket-plants
Chair Makeover

A fun wreath completes the look.

fall-hanging-basket-designs
Wreath

Here are those un-used pansies I mentioned.

FallGardenTour-knockitoffkim-Square

And just like that, the outside is as ready for fall as the inside!

mum-lined-walkway

Thank you to Tara for including me in such a fun hop! For other Fall Garden ideas, be sure to check out all of the inspiration overloads from these talented ladies!

Fall Outdoor Hop

Monday

Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday

Enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

you may also likeHow to Make Your Front Porch a Showstopper this July 4th

Blog post

HOW TO: A ROCKING CHAIR UPCYCLED FURNITURE PROJECT

rocking chair makeover

How to: Frighteningly Fun Halloween Front Door Decor

halloween front door decor idea

Don’t forget it! Pin it!

• Amy Dowling

September 28, 2016 at 1:28 pm

I love your fall basket! I bet your porch is your favorite spot to hang out this fall!!

• Meg – Green With Decor

September 28, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Looks great!! I love that green watering can! And your rockers – what a comfy place to sit and enjoy fall!

• Kelly Snyder

September 29, 2016 at 12:27 pm

You did a great job bringing new life to your hanging basket. You've got a great space to enjoy the beautiful days of fall!

Best,
    Kelly

• Theresa Beauteeful Living

September 29, 2016 at 3:28 pm

I love the basket you created for fall and that wreath is just too adorable! Thanks for sharing your space. Happy Fall!

• Tara Lehman

September 30, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Kim, the front of your home looks beautiful! Love the planter you created over your house numbers. Your rockers look super cozy too! Thanks so much for sharing your outdoor space with us!

• Maria Brittis

October 1, 2016 at 2:41 am

I love the plant DIY and I remember those chairs you made from the the spring,They look great for the fall.
    Have a great weekend.
    Maria

• Michelle James

October 1, 2016 at 1:59 pm

Love it Kim! The wreath is very cool!

• Samantha

October 1, 2016 at 7:55 pm

I love all of your pumpkins and fall florals! That wreath is super cute, too!

• Kim Seghers

October 3, 2016 at 2:06 am

Your home looks beautiful! I love how you decorated your porch it looks so festive and your hanging basket looks pretty!!

• Jennifer Fenton

October 3, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Love your watering can and that Fall window box. Your porch looks so inviting and pretty. Happy Fall!
    Vicki and Jenn
    2 Bees in a Pod

• Jenny Leads – Refresh Living

October 3, 2016 at 6:57 pm

I just love your wreath and planter above your address! You chose the perfect plants for it!

• Emily @ Two Purple Couches

October 4, 2016 at 2:42 am

This is a beautiful hanging basket, Kim! The mix of colors and types of plants make a great combo. I love how you decorated the rest of your porch, too 🙂