HOW TO: A ROCKING CHAIR UPCYCLED FURNITURE PROJECT

Is it time for a porch rocking chair makeover? Rather than tossing the metal chair bases, give them a modern look with an upcycled furniture DIY project using twine!

rocking chair makeover

I made over this chair during a 5-week mini challenge to transform the front porch of my home. This DIY upcycled furniture project came about one day when I went to sit on one of these old faux rattan rockers on my porch, and my hand pushed right through the caning. It quickly became apparent that there had been a bit of dry-rotting going on!

Of course, once the rattan started breaking away, there wasn’t much else to do but keep pulling off the plastic – I stripped the first chair down to the base right there on the porch.
Then, once I’d sufficiently made a gigantic mess, I wondered what I was going to do with my now seat-less chairs! My husband voted for tossing them, but the bases were sturdy, and I felt I could likely do something with them. Luckily, I had an idea of what. I found some great inspiration!
If you’d like to DIY a Rocking Chair Makeover, this is the place to be – let’s get started!

HOW TO: A FAUX RATTAN ROCKING CHAIR UPCYCLED FURNITURE PROJECT

What you’ll need

– A wireframe rocking chair
– Scissors or an Exacto knife
– One roll of hemp cord and two of macrame cord
– Protective Gloves (recommended, not essential)

Starting your upcycled furniture project

Strip the Chair

1. Remove the existing caning or strapping using scissors and a utility knife. I was so surprised to find scotch tape was the only thing holding the canes on my chair – shocking! In my case, I also painted the frames black.

String the Chair Center First

2. Wrap the end of one ball of cord around the bottom center of the back portion of the chair and tie with a secure knot.

3.  Run the cord to the top rail of the chair and wrap around four-and-a-half times, then run the rope back to the center rail and wrap around two times. Be sure to tuck the tail of your first knot into the loops of the center rail for a clean finish.
4. Continue this pattern until you’ve covered the center section of the chair, first working from the center to the right, then working from the left to the center, ending with a loose knot.

String Side Sections

5. Repeat steps 2-5 on all remaining sections, alternating the color if desired. If your chair has a curve at the top, you’ll need to knot the top part to the bar to keep them from sliding down. Space the sections the same as above – four wraps on the top, to two at the bottom.
6. Evenly arrange the ropes and pull strongly in the same sequence that you wound until they are very tight, using the gardening gloves if necessary.

Add Decorative Detail

7. Starting on the lowest section on either the left or right and using an alternating color to the one used to string the center, tie the end of the string to the bottom left corner of the back portion of the chair, fitting the rope between the weaving. Run the string from bottom to top, diagonally, weaving in and out as you move upward.
8. Wrapping the cord around approximately two inches lower, reverse the direction of the weave back down towards the left corner, tying off about two inches from the initial knot. Start another knot two inches to the right and repeat. You’ll want four rows of weaving in one direction.
9. Repeat steps nine and ten on the right side of the center, then again for any remaining sections.

Finishing your Upcycled Furniture Project

10. For a clean finished look, tightly wrap any vertical bars in the cord which will also help to secure the lines dropped on your side sections.
11. Add a pillow, put your chair in it’s home, then take your chair for a test drive.

My husband isn’t suggesting I throw out these chairs now! I’m so glad to have a comfy – and pretty – spot to sit in. I couldn’t be happier with our Rocking Chair Makeover and love the clean lines of the new modern look!

Thanks so much for stopping by and make sure you check out the wonderful and talented bloggers below. Grab a coffee and a cookie – you’ll be there a while!

Simple Nature Decor Blog | Seeking Lavender Lane | The Deans List | Mom Home Guide | Curly Crafty Mom | My Life From Home | Lehman Lane | Knock it Off Kim | Paint Yourself A Smile A Designer at Home | Our House Now a Home

My Favorite Modern Outdoor Rocking Chair Amazon Picks

Like this resource? Please share with others by pinning! Thanks so much!

Rocking Chair Makeover

• Jenny

June 14, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Oh wow these chairs are amazing Kim!!!!!

• Maria Brittis

June 15, 2016 at 1:58 am

You are so talented. I could never to do that with those chairs!That takes lots of patience.The chairs look totally different and so pretty. Love the black and white.
    Maria

• Maria Brittis

June 15, 2016 at 1:58 am

Maria

• Winnie

June 15, 2016 at 9:43 am

How creative you are! I'm kind of jealous…
    These chairs look fantastic
    I'll bet you feel so proud sitting on them, and you should be

• Amy Dowling

June 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm

This looks incredible! What an amazing transformation! I love them!

• Deb Foglia

June 21, 2016 at 1:42 pm

omgoodness! this chair makeover is AWESOME! I am loving it so much, I would never even thought to do that. I am so impressed. Really beautiful!

• Emily

July 27, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Kim this is seriously incredible & so creative! I’d have never guessed it was the same chair you started with!

1. admin

July 27, 2017 at 7:29 pm

Thanks, Emily! One of my favorite projects – EVER!

• Vicki and Jenn 2 Bees in a Pod

August 16, 2017 at 10:11 pm

WOW – great idea and way to stick with it Kim. Thanks too for introducing us to Lonny.com! Your chairs look fabulous!

1. admin