How to Make it Modern: An Old Rattan Rocking Chair Makeover

Is it time for a rattan rocking chair makeover? Rather than tossing the metal chair bases, give them a modern look with handwoven twine!

Hiya and thanks for joining us for week #4 of the Curb Appeal Blog Hop 2016!

Let’s do a quick recap. I’m participating in a 5-week mini challenge to transform the front porch of my home, together with the lovely Deb at Seeking Lavender Lane and a group of fun and talented bloggers! You can catch up on their work at the bottom of this post!

This week, I’m back with a tutorial for upcycling a metal frame chair by handweaving – it’s the ultimate faux rattan rocking chair makeover!

Although this project is somewhat time-consuming, the result is SO worth it.
If you remember, I had a pair of faux-rattan rocking chairs rockers on my front porch that had seen better
days. Much. Better. Days. One day, upon taking a seat, my hand pushed right through the caning, and it quickly became apparent that there had been a bit of dry-rotting going on!
Of course, once it started breaking away, there wasn’t much else to do but keep going – I stripped the first chair down to the base right there on the porch. Then, of course, I wondered what I was going to do with it. My husband voted for tossing them, but the bases were sturdy, and I felt I could likely do something with them. Luckily, I had an idea of what
I found a great tutorial on Lonny.com on how to restring a chair, Knit-wit style! Although the chair was nothing like mine, it did set me down the right path for restringing my rockers.
If you’d like to DIY a Rocking Chair Makeover, this is the place to be – let’s get started!

How to An Old Faux Rattan Rocking Chair Makeover

What you’ll need

– A wireframe rocking chair
– Scissors or an Exacto knife
– One roll of hemp cord and two of macrame cord
– Gardening gloves (recommended, not essential)

Getting it Done

Strip the Chair

1. Remove the existing caning or strapping using scissors and an Exacto knife. I was so surprised to find scotch tape was the only thing holding the canes on my chair – shocking! In my case, I also painted the frames in black.

Work on the Center First

2. Wrap the end of one ball of cord around the bottom center of the back portion of the chair and tie with a secure knot.

3.  Run the cord to the top rail of the chair and wrap around four-and-a-half times, then run the rope back to the center rail and wrap around two times. Be sure to tuck the tail of your first knot into the loops of the center rail for a clean finish.
4. Continue this pattern until you’ve covered the center section of the chair, first working from the center to the right, then working from the left to the center, ending with a loose knot.

Fill-in side sections

5. Repeat steps 2-5 on all remaining sections, alternating the color if desired. If your chair has a curve at the top, you’ll need to knot the top part to the bar to keep them from sliding down. Space the sections the same as above – four wraps on the top, to two at the bottom.
6. Evenly arrange the ropes and pull strongly in the same sequence that you wound until they are very tight, using the gardening gloves if necessary.

Add Decorative Detail

7. Starting on the lowest section on either the left or right and using an alternating color to the one used to string the center, tie the end of the string to the bottom left corner of the back portion of the chair, fitting the rope between the weaving. Run the string from bottom to top, diagonally, weaving in and out as you move upward.
8. Wrapping the cord around approximately two inches lower, reverse the direction of the weave back down towards the left corner, tying off about two inches from the initial knot. Start another knot two inches to the right and repeat. You’ll want four rows of weaving in one direction.
9. Repeat steps nine and ten on the right side of the center, then again for any remaining sections.

Finishing

10. For a clean finished look, tightly wrap any vertical bars in the cord which will also help to secure the lines dropped on your side sections.
11. Add a pillow, put your chair in it’s home, then take your chair for a test drive.

So glad to have these crossed off the list and so happy to have a comfy – and pretty – spot to sit in. I couldn’t be happier with our Rocking Chair Makeover and love the clean lines of the new modern look!

Here is our To-do list and what we’ve completed so far:

Paint the shutters
Paint the door
Add thicker molding to the door frame
String chairs
Paint garden stool
Create wreath
Install lighting
Add and plant planter boxes
Create house number plaque

Want to see our progress over the past few weeks? I’ve got you covered.

Week 1  – The plan || Week 2 – Succulent Wreath || Week 3 – House number and wall planter

Thanks so much for stopping by and make sure you check out the wonderful and talented bloggers below. Grab a coffee and a cookie – you’ll be there a while!

Simple Nature Decor Blog | Seeking Lavender Lane | The Deans List | Mom Home Guide | Curly Crafty Mom | My Life From Home | Lehman Lane | Knock it Off Kim | Paint Yourself A Smile A Designer at Home | Our House Now a Home

Pin for later: Handwoven Porch Rocker

Rocking Chair Makeover

decorative plates - feature

• Jenny

Oh wow these chairs are amazing Kim!!!!!

June 14, 2016 at 5:18 pm Reply
  • Maria Brittis

You are so talented. I could never to do that with those chairs!That takes lots of patience.The chairs look totally different and so pretty. Love the black and white.
    Maria

June 15, 2016 at 1:58 am Reply
  • Maria Brittis

Maria

June 15, 2016 at 1:58 am Reply
  • Winnie

How creative you are! I'm kind of jealous…
    These chairs look fantastic
    I'll bet you feel so proud sitting on them, and you should be

June 15, 2016 at 9:43 am Reply
  • Amy Dowling

This looks incredible! What an amazing transformation! I love them!

June 21, 2016 at 12:14 pm Reply
  • Deb Foglia

omgoodness! this chair makeover is AWESOME! I am loving it so much, I would never even thought to do that. I am so impressed. Really beautiful!

June 21, 2016 at 1:42 pm Reply
  • Emily

Kim this is seriously incredible & so creative! I’d have never guessed it was the same chair you started with!

July 27, 2017 at 6:18 pm Reply

Thanks, Emily! One of my favorite projects – EVER!

July 27, 2017 at 7:29 pm Reply
  • Vicki and Jenn 2 Bees in a Pod

WOW – great idea and way to stick with it Kim. Thanks too for introducing us to Lonny.com! Your chairs look fabulous!

August 16, 2017 at 10:11 pm Reply