Dining/Play Room – Let there be light – One Room Challenge Week #4

Blog post

So, it’s week #4 of the latest round of the One Room Challenge hosted by Calling It Home! This is our first #ORC but from what I understand, this is the toughest week for all as the deadline looms ever closer. You’re over the hump of week #3 and racing towards the finish line of week #6, but you don’t know how to ride a horse. Or is that just me? Regardless, I completely need an epic pudding cookie!

Quick recap – we’re trying to turn our formal dining room, currently being used as a poorly designed playroom with dining room furniture, into an actual playroom with dining room potential – aka a multi-purpose room! Week #1 was all about my dreams and ideas, Week #2 was all about the plans, Week #3 had a lot of talk about built-ins. And here we are – Now that we’re all caught up, let’s get on with the show!

So, that was where we left off, and this week is allll about lighting. In Week #2 I teased about a particular box that had taken up residence in our new room – I was so excited when we reached a point where I could reach into that box and pull out this bad boy – the light of my dreams!

Astrapia 13-inch rubbed sienna pendant

Isn’t it pretty? A bit chandelier, a bit lantern, a whole lot open and bright, and very much perfect for this space!

Although this light is reasonably priced, I couldn’t have been luckier to have the wonderful and generous LampsPlus agree to sponsor this post!

We had thought to add recessed lighting but with the size of the room, and after having the light installed, already being on a dimmer switch, it won’t be necessary.
After installing the built-ins, we had to re-center the light. Luckily for us, we were able to get that done quickly and painlessly. Same applied to the patching of the nasty hole left behind. #HandymenandElectriciansROCK. As you can see, though, there is still a bit of ceiling painting to be done!
In other news, the built-ins-that-never-end are so close to being done that I can almost taste it.
Thanks for all of your help with my door hardware dilemma last week!
The shelves have been painted and are taking a few days to cure before I put them into place. Can’t wait to style them!
Put in built-ins, I thought. It’ll be a cinch, I thought. It will take next to no time at all, I thought. Apparently, I need to think a little harder next time!
Source – West Elm
I’ve been spending many an hour searching for something to fill at least some if not all, of these bare walls and finally came across this fun idea. Although there are a few of these that I absolutely will have to order, I’m also having a lot of fun coming up with a few simple hacks to make on my own!
And, always fun.. a big ‘ol box arrived!
Guess what’s in it? I’ll give you a hint – it starts with ch and ends in airs! SO excited!
So, let’s take a look at this list, shall we?
built-ins || these will be along the main wall and visible from all angles
table || build a restoration hardware table with a fold-out top
storage/dining benches || benches that will work for dining and toy storage
new dining chairs || side chairs useable as dining chairs
artwork || something fun but appropriate for a dining room
mobile storage cart || this will work as the primary book storage for the playroom
paint || a neutral color that reflects natural light and a colorful feature wall
rug || pattern, texture, and color
lighting || less “chandelier” like overhead, table lamps and recessed lighting
window treatments || updated and cordless

I know we’re going to make it, but man, I’m feeling a bit behind. I’m pushing for this week to have made some serious progress! Wish me luck!
Be sure to take a peek at the all of the other AMAZING designs coming out of this challenge – you don’t want to miss it!

Enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

• Katy {AShadeOfTeal}

April 28, 2016 at 11:15 pm

The new light fixture looks great! I'm excited to see your chairs.

1. admin

May 5, 2016 at 3:04 am

Thanks Katy! I'm so excited about the chairs! I hope you like them!

• Sarah Burnell

April 29, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Oh My Goodness. That collection of plates on the blue wall. DO IT! Love the light, BTW.

• Maria Brittis

April 30, 2016 at 12:31 pm

Love all the helpers! Loving that plate display on the wall, I love plates! doing a small version one over my bed for the OCR Look forward to the reveal.
    Maria

• Winnie

April 30, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I should have invited you to my apratment, as I'm changing lights in almost every room, 🙂
    The blue plates collection is awesome!! Unique and I like it!!

• Uncookie Cutter

May 4, 2016 at 11:38 am

Oh Kim, it's looking so great and I think you picked the perfect light – I LOVE it! Can't wait to see the room next week!

• -Jen –

May 6, 2016 at 12:43 am

Great light!! Love the plate wall idea!