Antiquing Paint Technique on Thrift Store Furniture

Use paint and glaze to transform a thrifted piece of furniture into a stunning antique with a fun antiquing paint technique!

I received materials from Wise Owl Paint to complete this project and give my honest opinion. All opinions and views on the Wise Owl Paint and products I used are my own.

Hey, friends! Happy Wednesday! It’s been somewhat chaotic around here, what with birthdays, various activities and the constant wishing for Spring so we can all go outside to play. Is anyone else feeling it? Spring Fever? Ugh. You know what they say. If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Or if you’re a DIY fanatic, they say if you’re trapped inside, rescue and refinish furniture. Catchy, no?

So, I picked up this cute little table many moons ago at Homegoods on clearance for $25. Despite being the cracked drawer, I loved the lines and the painted details. After a mediocre patch-job on the drawer, we lived with the imperfections.  It was a perfect fit for the foyer, and it lived there for about 4-5 years. Until…

Unfortunately, during one of our annual Halloween parties, a drink was placed on it ruined the finish on the top of the table. I’m not sure who was drinking turpentine because I know that isn’t what we were serving, but there you have it! Just like that, the table was relegated to someplace a little less in view.

Although I’ve replaced the table with another in the foyer, I’ve missed my little table. Fast forward to today. When I was chosen to participate in the February Create and Share, hosted by the lovely and talented Stephanie of Casa Watkins, along with some of my favorite bloggers, I was super excited – I had the perfect project lined up and the time to bring my little table back to where it belongs.. in the spotlight!

I knew I had to repair the drawer and also the top of the table. I was a bit torn on the finish. After working with chalk-style paint on a recent project, I decided it would be perfect for the job. Chalky-type paint’s forgiving and no-prep nature make it a snap to work with. I also decided on an antiquing glaze as well, to bring out the detail in the woodwork. With a plan, it was time to get started!

After filling the blemishes in the finish and the crack in the drawer, everything got a good sanding. Following that the table received two coats of Wise Owl Synthesis Paint, in Sea Salt, using their ClingOn medium-sized flat brush for all but the small details. For the details, I used a small brush that allowed me to get into all of the grooves.

Wise Owl ClingOn Brush and Synthesis Chalk Paint in Sea Salt

Sea Salt
Wise Owl Synthesis Chalk Paint in Sea Salt

The paint was true-to-color. It went on smoothly, had good coverage and a short dry time. Here is the table after the first coat.

And here I am, applying the second coat. I did my hair just for you! Not really.

After allowing the paint to cure for 24 hours, I gave the entire table a light sanding using a sanding block, just enough to take the roughness of the paint off and smooth out the surface.

To add an antiqued look, I used Wise Owl Glaze in Black Walnut.

Apply the glaze with a brush or sponge. I opted for a brush to allow me to get into those detail areas that would have been difficult to reach with a sponge.

I worked in small areas, applied the glaze, then removed the excess with a lint-free cloth. I used a very light hand to allow for quite a bit of antiquing, and I let the glaze settle into the grooves.

The glaze has a speedy drying time (2 hours), so you need to work quickly to avoid smearing and to ensure proper overlap between sections. Despite knowing the drying time, I was working off of my prior knowledge of glaze (duh) and, therefore, had a few areas that I didn’t get to quickly enough, which resulted in a bit of smearing. Fortunately, I was able to sand some of it out at the end.

This glaze provides a durable finish itself, but if your piece sees a lot of heavy use, I would recommend applying a poly after 24 hours to protect it.

All in all, I am so pleased with how my little table turned out, and even more excited with how the table looks in its new home! Having it back relieves my spring fever! Just a bit. How about you? How do you get through those last long days of winter?

Please stop by and visit my friends at the links below for more Wise Owl Synthesis Paint ideas!

A Shade of Teal ~ Night Stand Makeover
The Weathered Fox ~ Charging Station
Casa Watkins ~ DIY Aztec Art
Chasing Quaintness ~ Milk Stool Makeover

Pin for later: Aging furniture with Paint and Glaze

• Cat Golden

February 24, 2016 at 9:00 am

Kim your little table looks fantastic! I love the color you choose! Pinning!

• Karen Chouinard

February 24, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Love it! When glazing with Wise Owl its best to work in small sections and you can try my tip… sock hands! That's right, I put a sock on each hand… one for applying glaze, and another to wipe away glaze. Then you may move on to the next section. And remember, glaze removes glaze so if you don't like how its laying down you can apply more glaze, gently wipe and start anew! Wonderful job on such an adorable table!

• Jenny @ Refresh Living

February 24, 2016 at 9:40 pm

What a great transformation! I used Sea Salt too – it's cool how different of a look it gives with glaze. Job well done!

• Benita Roberts

February 25, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Kim, I just love how great your side table looks! I love that color!! Now, I want to buy some of this paint in several different colors and start redoing some other pieces I've just tossed aside…LOL. Awesome job!!

• Kimberley Seasideave

February 25, 2016 at 10:48 pm

Hi Kim,
    I am visiting from Chasing Quaintness. Checking out all of your projects with this paint. Had never heard of this brand before and it looks like a great product!
    Your table turned out so good, and I love it with the dark glaze, it's so pretty!
    Happy almost weekend! Kimberley @ Seasideave.com

• Katy {AShadeOfTeal}

February 26, 2016 at 4:20 pm

This color is amazing, your end table turned out great. Also, awesome find at Homegoods.

• Domicile 37

February 26, 2016 at 5:35 pm

OMG, this looks amazing and is most certainly a standout! I am not big into distressing, but I really love the look on that piece.

• Meghan Danielle

February 26, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Oh my gosh! This aged look is gorgeous and you are so right about the lines of this piece being amazing, I think the stained wood finish just didn't do it justice. You gave it new life! Stunning!

• Tara Lehman

February 26, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Such a pretty color you picked for the table Kim! Love the spring vignette you made with it!!! Have a great weekend and take care, Tara

• Refashionably Late

February 28, 2016 at 2:06 am

You side table turned out great! I love seeing all the combinations everyone is using in colors and waxes!

• Stephanie -Casa Watkins

February 28, 2016 at 3:35 pm

So pretty. The glaze really makes all those details and curves pop. Great color and makeover!

• Amanda @ Old House to New Home

March 3, 2016 at 10:30 am

I love this color! It is so subtle but with the glaze, it looks amazing!

• Norma Rolader