How to Make Easy Valentine’s Day Decor – Hanging Heart

Posted in HOLIDAYS, WALL ART, Winter: Seasonal Decor and Crafts, WOODWORK
on January 25, 2016

Make your home Valentine’s Day ready using this quick and easy Valentine’s Day decor idea! This hanging heart is a cinch to make and decorate and will have everyone seeing heart-eyes!

Valentines Day Decor

It’s hard to believe that Valentine’s Day is right around the corner! If you’ve followed along with me for a while, you know I like to dress things up around here for love day, but with so much going on all the time, motivation can be hard to find. Participating in the 2016 Valentine’s Day Blog Hop, hosted by Danielle from Creatively Homespun, was just the inspiration I needed! For my project, I’m sharing how I made this fun vintage-industrial style hanging heart – It’s a super easy Valentine’s Day decor idea!

How to Make Easy Hanging Heart Valentine’s Day Decor

THE INSPIRATION

Inspiration comes from the strangest places. On this project, my inspiration came from a cute, linen-wrapped bedside table. Funny, my project inspiration has little to do with Valentine’s Day! I’m just mad for the linen covered look so trendy right now. I want to wrap everything in my house in linen and go crazy with the upholstery nails!

THE PERFECT CRAFT FIND

Like literally everything else I’m ever looking – or not looking for – but have a desperate need for when I see it – I found a perfect craft kit for this project at where else, but Target! It was as if the Target Gods were looking down on me saying.. “yep, that one does not need to be drilling or hammering ninety plus holes.” Agreed.
Update: Target no longer carries this product AND Hand Made Modern is a Target only product line – bummer. I did find a few similar products on Etsy though – you can take a look there.

valentines day decor - targetheartcutouts

The wooden heart kit comes in two separate pieces, one with pre-drilled holes. Perfect, no?
valentines day decor - heart cutouts
*Affiliate links included for your convenience. Thanks for supporting KnockitOffKim.com!

STAIN IT

The first step: Give the heart cutout portion a gray stain finish with a light hand. Be sure to stir the stain well before applying – I found the gray especially seems to separate, with most of the pigment sinking to the bottom of the can. Follow up with a dark finishing wax. Allow the finish to dry for a few hours.

valentines day decor - firstrow

ADD THE BLING

It took approximately 120 nails in a hammered, nickel finish to go all the way around the heart. The nails, at .5″, were a tiny bit long, so I opted to snip them with a pair of sharp wire cutters to about half their length.

Everbilt 7/16 in. x 1/2 in. Nickel Hammered Upholstery Nails (20-Piece per Pack)

I found it easiest to start one hole away from the center bottom and work my way to the center top, or the dip of the heart. Once reaching the top, I laid the center nails over both rows at the top and bottom.

Valentines Day decor - pattern
Working quickly, I’d add a dab of glue into the hole, and set the pin. Then repeated this one hundred and twenty times, give or take. It seemed less tedious in theory than in reality! Luckily it went by fast. Please, ignore my gross lack of manicure and, even more, offensive glue gun!

valentines day decor - glue nails

Ebony Rub'n Buff

ADD SOME ANTIQUING

To age the nails ever so slightly, I applied a very, very thin layer of ebony rub n’ buff to random nails. I’ve used this product more times than I can count! You can read about it here, here and here. To get around this step altogether, you could use a dark nail  instead of the nickel.

FINISH IT UP

To finish, I attached string for hanging, a mini-close pin to the front and clipped on the image card.

valentines day decor - image card

What I love about this project is the versatility. It’s a great accent piece for Valentine’s Day, but swapping out the picture card with a favorite photo makes it a home accent to be used year round.

For now, I’m happy to use it as-is in my lovefest decorating!

Valentines Day Decor - hanginginfoyer

Pottery Barn Inspired Vase Tutorial

For past Valentine’s Day fun from Knockitoffcrafts.com, here are a few suggestions:

Thanks again for stopping by! Before you go, please be sure to check out the links below and show them some love this Sweetheart Season! Happy Valentine’s Day to you and yours. Xoxo

Enter your email address to get new post notification by email! It’s non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

• Jennfer Fenton

Wow Kim – this is super creative and so cute! We love Target too…especially that darn Dollar Spot LOL. So happy to share the hop with you. Cheers to a wonderful week!

Jenn and Vicki
    2 Bees in a Pod

January 25, 2016 at 1:42 pm Reply
  • Lindsay Eidahl

This is stunning! So pretty!

January 25, 2016 at 1:57 pm Reply
  • Michelle James

I love how you found your inspiration from the beautiful linen chest! Love it!

January 26, 2016 at 1:38 am Reply
  • Jenny Leads

Your heart is so cute! Don't you love it when you find something (like the heart kit) that will work perfectly for a project you are envisioning??

January 26, 2016 at 3:23 am Reply
  • Gail @Purple Hues and Me

Looks beautiful and you're very creative!

January 26, 2016 at 12:37 pm Reply
  • Ashley @ 3 Little Greenwoods

Now that is an AWESOME heart project! I love how you looked at that Target heart and knew it was perfect for your idea. Pinning and sharing!

January 27, 2016 at 1:40 am Reply
  • bon bon

Such a cute idea….love the nail look.

January 27, 2016 at 12:08 pm Reply
  • Tara Lehman

What a great idea Kim! I really like the nail head trim, very creative. it looks very nice hanging on the mirror:). It was fun sharing the hop with you. Have a great rest of your weekend and take care, Tara

January 30, 2016 at 11:11 pm Reply
  • Amy @ My Life From Home

So adorable!! Great project.

February 14, 2017 at 2:38 pm Reply