All about Using Gold in Your Decor

Posted in DECOR, LIVING ROOM
on June 25, 2015

Hey, Friends! I was of the impression that summer was supposed to be the slow time of year. What gives? That is NOT what is happening around here! I hope you’re getting a little more downtime than I am!

I’ve been having a ton of fun participating in the six-week Instagram #Ourshelfies challenge with some of my favorite bloggers – 19 of them to be exact! We are on week 2 – all about decorating with gold!

Uptodate Interiors

I’ll say it. I love metals. Pewter, bronze, nickel, and gold. I love it all. I’m not officially a designer, but I find decorating with even a touch of metal can bring my room to a whole new styling level. It adds light. It adds shimmer, and it adds sparkle. It draws attention to areas you might want to highlight.

Fresh Crush

Out of all the metals, gold gives all the properties that a metal should, but then goes that little bit further! Being a “warm” metal, it adds warmth and coziness. It imbues richness and luxury. When used correctly, it lends itself to sophistication and elegance.

Source

I prefer to keep it simple and add a peek of gold to unexpected places. It’s an easy way to dress up a plain piece or achieve a more subtle look.

the Hunted Interior
the Hunted Interior

I also like to mix metals together as below – don’t be afraid to try!

Shabby Grace Blog

Everyone needs a bit of shimmer and sparkle in their life. Gold gives you that in an instant.

For more ideas on how to use gold in your decor, check out Instagram by searching the hashtag #OURShelfies.

If you would like to play along here is how you can!

1. Follow all 20 co-host accounts on Instagram, listed at the bottom of this post.
  2. Post a picture of your mantel or shelfie demonstrating this week’s decor challenge. Be sure to tag with #OURShelfies.
  3. You have until 8 p.m. EST (7 p.m. CST) each Thursday (that’s today!) to post your picture. The winner is chosen on Friday then featured on all 20 IG accounts the same day!

In addition, winners will be featured on some of the co-hosts blogs for even more exposure. If you know a friend who’d like to play, tag them in the Instagram comments, and let them know the game is on.

Now let’s see those mantels and shelfies!
The co-hosts you should be following!
Check back next week for week 3’s theme!

• The Honeycomb Home

I wasn't sure I was going to like the gold trend, but I'm loving it now!

June 25, 2015 at 5:11 pm Reply
  • Stephanie Watkins

Great ideas Kim! I love decorating with gold as well. I am loving the entries this week on IG.

June 25, 2015 at 7:36 pm Reply
  • Prettypracticalhome

Hi, Kim! I'm with you on the metallics. Every room needs a little shimmer. Gold is usually my metallic of choice, but I love them all!

June 25, 2015 at 9:43 pm Reply
  • Karyl Henry

I love the gold pillows! Adding some shimmer to the bed 🙂 Thanks for the list of shelfie co-hosts. I'll have to check all of these out

June 26, 2015 at 2:34 pm Reply
  • Sydney Andersen

I used to be so afraid of gold… I always thought it looked outdated but I am loving it now…especially with sparkles (like those pillows)!

June 26, 2015 at 4:01 pm Reply
  • Adrienne

I love gold decor. It can make a room look more elegant.

June 26, 2015 at 4:25 pm Reply
  • The Gastronom

Love those gold handles on the white dresser, and those pillows on the bed, oh my!

June 26, 2015 at 7:47 pm Reply
  • Kim Seghers

I love the way Gold decor looks in other people's homes, I just don't know how to decorate with it. Thank you so much for the beautiful inspiration.

June 27, 2015 at 2:20 am Reply