How to Make a Faux Capiz Shell DIY Chandelier for under $20

Posted in BEDROOMS, DECOR, DIY
on May 7, 2015

Capiz shell chandeliers can cost a fortune, but this DIY chandelier uses a faux Capiz shell for the same look for a fraction of the cost – less than $20! Talk about getting the look for less!

If you’re new here, my current project room – at least the one that has most of my focus – is my daughter’s bedroom. It’s a small, cramped room, in need of a makeover.  I have a lengthy list of projects to get through before I can call it finished, of which I’d only crossed off one item – the rearranging part, at least until today!
DIY Chandelier
Unfortunately, fans are an absolute must in our house, which limits the fixtures we can buy.. at least within our budget. The present light was made using a large barrel shade turned upside down, but it lacked that certain.. oomph.
Lampshade Makeover

On my travels, I came across one at my other home World Market. Although the price wasn’t too bad, it was the wrong color, as well as it didn’t work with the fan. Plan B went into effect.. or, should I say. The Plan B that I suddenly came up with went into effect. Or rather, Plan B found itself in a fantastic tutorial at Fabulous Fashions for Sensible Style,  who promised I could make a Faux Capiz Shell DIY Chandelier for under $15.. and.. they were right!

I’m not going to do a full tutorial here – theirs was well written, but I’ll give you a brief overview of what I did to attach it to my fan rather than a regular ceiling fixture.

HOW TO MAKE A DIY CHANDELIER WITH FAUX CAPIZ SHELL

MATERIALS

WHAT TO DO

1. Strip the lamp shade of it’s cover down to the wire.

how to make a lampshade

CREATE THE SHELLS

2. Layer 5 sheets of 12″x12″ wax paper and fuse them together by placing the layers between two thin towels, and ironing them with a very hot iron.

3. When the layers are cool, use a 2.5″ paper cutter to cut out as many circles as will fit on a sheet.  You’ll need about 300 circles for this project. These will be your “shells.”

faux capiz shell

TIPS FOR PAPER CUTTERS

Be sure your cutters are extremely sharp. After trying three different punches – Fiskar, an EK Success, and a Michael’s brand cutter,  I recommend the EK Success Cutter – Surprisingly, the reviews on Amazon are mixed for this, but by far, this was the winner of all the ones I tried. The Fiskar wouldn’t get through the paper at all, while Michael’s brand only partially cut, but the EK Success cut through consistently throughout the project.

CREATE THE STRANDS

4. Cut 60 – 13″ lengths of ribbon and 30 – 9″ lengths of ribbon.

5. Glue five “shells” to the 13″ lengths of organza ribbon, starting 1 1/2″ from one end of the ribbon (this becomes the “top”) butting each circle against the next as you go down the length.

6. Glue three “shells” to the 9″ lengths of organza ribbon, starting 1 1/2″ from one end of the ribbon (this becomes the “top”) butting each circle against the next as you go down the length.

diy capiz shell
paper capiz shell

ADD THE STRANDS TO YOUR FRAME

7. Turn the lampshade upside down. The widest end of the shade becomes the top.

8. Starting on the bottom – not what I did, but the smarter way to go – fold the top 1″ of ribbon strand over the wire and secure it with a dot of hot glue. Be sure to press both sides of the fold together to ensure the glue dries securely.  I used ten strands per lamp shade section. On the top there were six, on the bottom of the frame, there were still six sections, but some were smaller than others. On the narrower sections, I attached three 8″ strands, on the wider sections, five.

faux capiz shell chandelier

FINISHING

9. Trim any remaining ribbon along the bottom of each strand up to the lower edge of the last “shell” in a row.

10. To give the top edge more of a finished look, cut the remaining circles in half, and glue them just slightly above the wire line on the top, with the cut edge facing up.

If you’re attaching the shade to a fan, and your fan is relatively new, try this: Thread a lamp harp – the thingy that you attach to your lamp to hang a shade through the holes reserved for the light and speed chains. Bend them to secure them to the fan base. I added a large glob spot of hot glue.. because it’s almost like duct tape.. good for everything.. over the holes to give it a bit more stability. It worked like a champ.
Lamp harp, aka the thingy that you attach to your lamp to hang your shade

ceiling fan shade
Now, you can attach your shade to the harp. Here is what it looks from the underside.
chandelier ceiling fan
And here it is in the room.
capiz shell chandelier

Because of the way and how low the shade sits, we can still use the fan – at least on medium, which is as high as we ever go anyway.

Here it is lit up. I love how the light shines through and shows each “shell.”

diy capiz shell chandelier

So, this one is a wrap. New, chic and trendy Faux Capiz Shell DIY Chandelier Lampshade, for under $20.. check! Huge thanks to Fabulous Fashions for Sensible Style for such a FANTASTIC tutorial!

As always, thanks for following along on these crazy adventures. It means so much!

knockitoffkim.com projects

Enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

Pin it!
How to Make a Faux Capiz Shell DIY Chandelier for under $20
By
/ /
newlayoutroom

• Emily, our house now a home

This is beautiful! I cannot stand the look of fans, but they are so functional and needed. I like to keep the windows open all summer and only turn the air conditioner on when I have to. SO some fans are needed a lot. But, ugh, they are just not as pretty ad a chandelier or pendant. You did a beautiful job dressing this up!

May 8, 2015 at 3:26 am Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks so much, Emily! I can't stand them either and I'm always looking for ways to dress them up. It was a fun project!

May 14, 2015 at 1:17 pm Reply
  • The Gastronom

Such a cool idea!

May 8, 2015 at 5:08 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

I see what you did there! Fan.. cool.. haha. No really, thanks! I'm happy with how it turned out. 🙂

May 14, 2015 at 1:19 pm Reply
  • Randi Sheets

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

May 8, 2015 at 5:18 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks Randi and thanks for stopping by!

May 14, 2015 at 1:19 pm Reply
  • Debra Chapoton

Awesomely clever. You are very talented and artistic.

May 8, 2015 at 7:25 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks Debra! I appreciate the compliment and thank you for stopping by!

May 14, 2015 at 1:20 pm Reply
  • Ashleigh Wright

Very cool!! I love that look! Thank you for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend!! xx

May 8, 2015 at 8:28 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks Ashleigh! It was a really fun project and so cheap and simple!

May 14, 2015 at 1:51 pm Reply
  • Crystal Foose

My kids have knocked down and broken a number of shades in our house. Something like this would be a great replacement.

May 8, 2015 at 9:21 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

I feel like I'm always looking for something kid-proof as well! Good luck!

May 14, 2015 at 1:52 pm Reply
  • Aprilrutherford

This is gorgeous, very cool! I couldn't tell what you were talking about on the phone, but this is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

May 8, 2015 at 9:22 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks April! Now, if I only I had a table to go with it.. hint hint.

May 14, 2015 at 1:52 pm Reply
  • Sara @ ShabbyGrace Blog

Now that's COOL! Great job. Also, I LOVE World Market too!!

May 8, 2015 at 10:59 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Isn't World Market the BEST, Sara? I can always find something new and unique there and the quality is pretty good, too! I'm on my way there shortly.. I need a rug and they have some great options!

May 14, 2015 at 1:53 pm Reply
  • Irion @ Diapers to Potty

Wow that looks amazing! I would have never guessed that you used wax paper to make it.

May 8, 2015 at 11:46 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks Irion! It is amazing how similar the paper looks to actual shells.. I was drawn to it the first time I saw it for that very reason. I love projects like that! Thanks for stopping by!

May 14, 2015 at 1:54 pm Reply
  • annabelt - geeks diet

That looks so pretty – very creative!

May 9, 2015 at 2:50 am Reply
    • Kim Young

Thank you! My daughter loves it, and it's a great focal point when you walk in the room.

May 14, 2015 at 1:55 pm Reply
  • Kim

Wait…what? I am still in shock! As I was reading through your post I kept having to go back to the first picture because I couldn't make my mind believe you made that from wax paper!? Amazing job!!

May 9, 2015 at 3:57 am Reply
    • Kim Young

I know, it's crazy! I wouldn't believe it either had I not cut out 300 circles of the stuff! Thanks so much!

May 14, 2015 at 1:55 pm Reply
  • Jen

What a great project for so cheap! Looks great!!

May 9, 2015 at 1:47 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks Jen! The cheap ones.. they're the best kind!

May 14, 2015 at 1:55 pm Reply
  • Adrienne

This is an awesome idea. So creative!

May 9, 2015 at 2:22 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thank you, Adrienne! I'm glad you like it!

May 14, 2015 at 1:56 pm Reply
  • Sibylla Nash

Love this! Will you come to my house??? I have plenty of projects.

May 9, 2015 at 3:22 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Sibylla, I would LOVE to! Of course, I'll be working through my own get-this-done list for the next 18 years, but after that I'm all yours! hahaThanks for coming by!

May 14, 2015 at 1:57 pm Reply
  • Agy Lee

This is so cool and creative. Waxed paper is definitely better than ordinary paper – better for safety?

May 13, 2015 at 1:31 am Reply
  • Christina @ The DIY Mommy

WOW! What a transformation. So creative!!

May 14, 2015 at 6:11 pm Reply