Old Fashioned Rice Pudding with rum raisin sauce

Posted in FOOD, recipes
on March 6, 2015

Happy Friday, Peeps! Hey, did anyone else here watch the Master Chef Junior finale? Has anyone else been craving rice pudding since Andrew whipped up his version on the finale using orzo?

rice pudding rum sauce recipe
Even if you don’t watch the show, an old fashioned dessert such as rice pudding really hits the spot on a never-ending winters day. These days, that’s any day!
Rice pudding reminds of my mom. It’s not something she made often, but it was one of my favorite things that she did make. I like mine with lots of raisins, much to Shay’s dismay, but if you aren’t a fan, just skip ’em. It’ll still be tasty! The rum sauce is all me – something about rum sauce reminds me of.. cold days, warm hearts.
The shorter the grain, the creamier the pudding. For an explanation of short versus long rice, go here!
Rice Pudding *
Pudding
3/4 cup uncooked white rice                                  1 egg, beaten
1 can evaporated milk                                            2/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup milk                                                            1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup white sugar                                                 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions
Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir rice into boiling water. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a clean saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups cooked rice, evaporated milk, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in milk, beaten egg, and raisins; cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
Rum Butter Sauce  **
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup rum
1/4 cup golden raisins, if desired
In 1 1/2-quart saucepan, bring rum to boil over medium heat. Allow to cook for 2 minutes. Mix in remaining ingredients. Return to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
Drizzle over cooled pudding and serve immediately.
May your weekend be warm and balmy!
* Adapted from here
** Adapted from here
/ /

• Aprilrutherford

Um, I've never made rice pudding before, now I might try it! Sounds good!

March 6, 2015 at 7:02 pm Reply
  • Kathy Herbig

Looks delicious Kim, reminds me of my childhood too. Can't wait to try it!

March 6, 2015 at 7:28 pm Reply
  • Amy Nielson

My Grandma always made rice pudding. I can't hear the name without thinking of her.

March 6, 2015 at 8:35 pm Reply
  • Jenn Youse

My husband LOVES rice pudding, I'll have to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

March 6, 2015 at 9:15 pm Reply
  • yanique

Rice pudding! One of my all time favorite treats. This looks really good 🙂

March 6, 2015 at 10:07 pm Reply
  • juicy d

I've never made rice pudding either! Looks yummy!

March 6, 2015 at 11:08 pm Reply
  • Sara

This looks amazing! I've never had rice pudding, let alone made it but now I'm craving it!

March 7, 2015 at 5:10 am Reply