The winter months are tough for so many of us. After all of the build up to the holidays.. and we celebrate hard between Halloween and Christmas.. the quiet lull of the months following are a bit like massive burnout – always a bit of a let down. The cold, dreary weather doesn’t help, especially since our home hasn’t a lot of natural light. I miss the leaves on the trees and the kids miss playing outside without bundling like little Michelin men and women. I also could do without the static electricity that seems to plague everything right now.. my hair, my clothes.. drives me insane!
This year, besides turning every light on in the house during the day and buying a years supply of static guard and bounce dryer sheets, I’ve been doing what I can to minimize the winter blues by changing things up around the house, and adding a bit of color and sparkle. It’s not really that I’ve added all that much new.. more that I’ve just moved some things around. It’s amazing what little touches like that can do to your mood.
In the kitchen, where I seem to spend most of my time these days, despite my attempts to curb my cookie habit, I added a bit of much needed green, using plants I already had that have barely survived the winter – I mentioned the low light situation.. at least so far! Which brings us to why we are here..
Every plant, while beautiful on it’s on, needs a cute pot to really make it shine. This one was easy to make with just a terracotta pot, ceramic tile spacers – I certainly have enough of those hanging around with our recent bathroom projects – a glue gun, and finally, spray paint and a bit of rub and buff.
If you aren’t familiar with rub and buff, it’s one of my favorite quick fixer-upper things in the world. I’ve used it on my son’s dresser make-over for the drawer pulls, our Happy Room desk chairs, the dining room chandelier, Land of Nod knock-off ahoy mirrors that I made for Ayden’s room, and the lamp bases in our Master bedroom. Obviously, I think this stuff rocks.
|I’ve also seen it in copper, gold, antique gold, and black|
Back to the planter.. It’s pretty easy peasy. Starting at the top of the pot, I applied the tile spacers in a line, tip to tip, under the rim using hot glue.
This continued on… and on.. and on.. placing rows under one another until I reached near the bottom of the pot. I then went back to add another row on the rim itself, just because I thought it needed a little something.
Then, the entire pot received a coat of spray paint in ecru.
When dry, I applied a thin coat of rub and buff in antique gold around the rim, above the spacers.
Plant + cute planter full of kisses = I love it!