How to make a Delightful Deco-Mesh Carrot Wreath

Posted in HOLIDAYS, SPRING: SEASONAL DECOR AND CRAFTS, WALL ART
on March 3, 2014

Looking to brighten up your door this Easter? You’ve come to the right place! Learn how to make a Carrot deco mesh wreath and frame this spring!

How to make this Carrot deco mesh wreath

Although I don’t decorate for every holiday, Easter is one of those times that I love to do something fun around the house, both inside and out. Maybe the arrival of Spring gets my creative juices going, and thinking that it’s time for all things new, or perhaps I just love bunnies! Either way, I have created more wreaths around Easter than at any time other time of year! This carrot wreath will forever be a favorite creation, though, as a timeless design that will always garner compliments and bring a smile to my face.

HOW TO MAKE A CARROT DECO MESH WREATH

None of my materials are exact amounts. The wreath was a figure-it-out-as-you-go kind of project that luckily turned out pretty great!

You’ll Need

Use these simple materials - ribbon, pipecleaners and floral wire - to make this Carrot deco mesh wreath

Prepare the form

Step 1: If using a ready-made form without ties, start out by adding orange pipe cleaners about every inch across and down your form. Don’t have a form? Make the DIY Deco mesh Carrot Wreath Form I used and created! The guide for making your own is available for free download to subscribers of my newsletter and can be accessed here!

Carrot Wreath - Printable Template

Add the Mesh

Step 2: Instructions show my DIY Carrot Wreath Form. To begin, use a 12″ strip to weave in the orange deco mesh strips starting from the bottom and working up. To do this, fold over the first inch of your strip and attach a piece of pipe cleaner to provide a tidy end.

Step 3: Beginning at the bottom, attach the strip to the framework by weaving the open ends of the pipe cleaner through the bottom section, then twist the pipe cleaner tightly to connect to the back. Attach a pipe cleaner 6″ down the length of deco mesh, then attach to the frame about 1/2″ past the first attached end, creating a loop.  Arrange the loop, twist the deco mesh if needed to follow the natural curl, and add a final pipe cleaner to the open end, again, tucking under the end and attaching to the frame.

Your wreath will look like this from the front.

And will look like this from the back.

The key is to twist your deco mesh very tightly into a loop and to keep your loops tight together and relatively small.

Step 4: Continue to weave deco mesh strips up the frame, working from side to side, in the same manner, starting with a piece of deco mesh when needed, and looping and tucking as you go, up to, but not including the hanging handle.

Step 5: When you have filled in the frame, you will have something that looks like this – hopefully, yours will be a little tighter than mine was.. see the gaps? You can eliminate most spaces with a tighter weave on your grid. See the messy counter behind me? Just ignore that.

Step 6: If you do have a few gaps, you can use the orange grosgrain ribbon to fill in and mask it. Just weave a strip of ribbon, the width of the form, in and out on the back side of the frame.

Step 7: Attach the carrot “stem” using the tulle. I chose to stiffen the tulle first, as this wreath was going to be displayed outside. The humidity causes the tulle to go limp, especially if you are using a relatively fine mesh tulle, which is what I had on hand. To stiffen the tulle, begin by cutting your lengths of tulle. I used eight lengths of tulle, approximately 20″ long. I then sprayed the lengths with heavy starch and allowed to dry. If you live in a particularly damp or humid area, you could also use a thin layer of mod-podge to stiffen the tulle as well – This is just not what I did.

Step 8: When they were dry, I used the dark green pipe cleaners, cut in half, to attach the tulle to the frame. I folded the tulle strip in half and connected the pipe cleaner through the fold. I then attached the end of the frame just under the hanger and fluffed the ends.

Step 9: Lastly, I slip-tied a coordinating, decorative, ribbon under the tulle, and added a few corkscrew curled pipe cleaners for a bit of whimsy.

Step 10: Hang it. And know, when Peter Cottontail comes hopping down the bunny trail, he’ll be making a stop at your house!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this project or any other, or even if you just want to say “hey.” I love that!

For more wreath fun, check these out, for more Easter fun, take a look here, or, to just see what I’m up to today, click here!

Enter your email address to subscribe to non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

* May contain affiliate links

• Crochet Hooks

LOVE this!! Truly do. I will have to make one. I pinned a couple times. Really totally awesome.

March 12, 2014 at 10:58 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it. 🙂

February 22, 2015 at 12:48 am Reply
  • Mia Hirsch

Beautiful! You inspired me!

December 28, 2015 at 2:41 am Reply
  • kristinalynn

So cute!

January 21, 2016 at 4:14 pm Reply
  • Emily

This is SO cute Kim!

March 1, 2017 at 3:31 pm Reply
  • Mary Zajac

Cute as a bunny. Great job. If there is any flaws it does,nt matter. Your personality more than makes up for it.

March 3, 2017 at 5:18 pm Reply

Thanks so much, Mary! I appreciate you’re saying so!

March 6, 2017 at 12:06 am Reply
  • Sherri

I love your creativity on the fly, making your own wreath form and all! It looks simply adorable and I’m eager to try on for myself! Happy Anniversary and keep up the great work!

March 26, 2017 at 8:08 pm Reply

Aww.. thanks so much, Sherri! I’d love to see your wreath when it’s finished! Good luck!

April 1, 2017 at 9:23 pm Reply