How to Make Cute Fabric Bags with See-through Windows

fabric bag - feature

These cute fabric bags are a great way to keep your collections together and make it simple to see what’s inside! They are a quick project, just perfect for toys and nearly anything else!

fabric bag

January is ALL about organizing. Every year, I pick one or two areas to tackle. This year, it’s all about toys!

I’m OCD about Toys

When it comes to toy organization, I like organized sets and have been known to sort toys by the hour, on a bi-monthly basis, all the while muttering “I’m never going to let it get this disorganized again!” It’s a sickness really, given that it ends up just as disorganized by the end of the day! To me, there is nothing worse than going to play with a farm set and only having a pig, one piece of the fence, and perhaps a farmer’s hat – without the farmer.

As a result, I’m always looking for easy ways to keep collections together. Once together, I want those toys stored in ways that make them easy to identify, without having to dump the entire container out – a favorite pastime of my youngest.

These cute little bags are a score on both counts and are so, so easy to make. Although I’ve used them to store toys, the uses for them are endless. Don’t you believe me? Just watch. You’ll see!

How to Make Fabric Bags with a Peek-a-Boo Window

For this project you will need:
Fabric of your choice
Contrasting fabric for drawstring pocket
twine or twill tape for drawstring
Sewing Machine
Matching Thread
Clear Vinyl

Cut out the bag

My finished bag size is approximately 14″ x 14″. I began by cutting two pieces of fabric, with right sides together, approximately 16″ x 16″.
fabric bags - measure length
Cut two pieces, in a coordinating fabric, measuring 14.5″ wide x 4″ long to be used as the drawstring pocket. Also, cut two pieces of cord (to be used as the drawstring pulley) at 18″ long each. Put these aside. Ignore my nasty, dry hand.

fabric bags - measure seem allowance

Fold one of the fabric pieces in half width-wise (from top to bottom) and cut a “window” on the fold of your fabric, ensuring there are at least 3″ on all outside edges.

fabric bags - cut window

Using this cut out as your guide, cut one piece of vinyl at least 1.5″ larger on all sides. Put aside.

fabric bags - add vinyl

On each of the four corners of your “window,” cut into the corner diagonally by 1/2″.

fabric bags - add vinyl - cut for finished corner

Press edges and Pin vinyl Window

Press the top edge down  1″, on both the front and back pieces of the bag. Turn the front piece (the one with the window) over and press the 1/2″ edge of the window sides flat on all four edges.

fabric bags - add vinyl - hem edge of window

On each end of the drawstring pocket, press the side edges in by 1/4″ on each end, and the long edges in by 1/2″ on each side.

fabric bags - make drawstring 1

fabric bags - make drawstring 2

Pin the vinyl to the pressed edge of the window, on the backside of the front piece, ensuring the vinyl overhangs evenly on all four sides. Turn over the front piece.

fabric bags - pin vinyl

Pin the right side of the drawstring pocket approximately 1/2″ from the top. Repeat for the back.

fabric bags - window-front side

Assemble Bag

Stitch close to the edge on the top of the bag and the vinyl on the front side of the fabric.

fabric bags - sew edges

For the back, stitch close to the top edge.
On drawstring pocket, stitch close to both top and bottom edges, leaving a minimum 1″ pocket on both the front and back of the bag.
With right sides together, stitch the front of the bag to the back on three sides, leaving the top open. Turn and press.

fabric bags - add drawstring pocket

Thread one of the drawstring cords through each drawstring pocket, and secure each edge with a knot.

fabric bags - tie off drawstring

You have a completed bag!

fabric bags - finished bag

There are a million uses for these. I hope you can find a place for one!

Enter your email address to get new post notification by email! It’s non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

• Ursula Rosien

January 7, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Super cute! I took a sewing class a few months ago and I could make this! Visiting from Made in a day linky 😉

1. Kim Young

January 7, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Thanks, Ursula! You definitely could. Email me if you need any further pointers! I love helping out beginning sewers!

• Aprilrutherford

January 7, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Cute! I need to commission your sewing skills for something….

1. Kim Young

January 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Would it be a fair trade for me to trade your table building skills for my sewing skills? I think so! 😉

• Natasha Mairs

January 8, 2014 at 2:35 pm

found you via made in a day blog hop, now following on twitter, facebook, google+ & pinterest

Natasha @ Serenity You

1. Kim Young

January 10, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Thanks, Natasha! Following you back!

• Kristi Blackstone

January 10, 2014 at 7:08 am

Super cute bag and wonderful job on the tuturial! I like how you covered all the details to make it more simple to make. Great job, I'm glad I found your blog. I am a new fan and follower of your blog and social networks so I can stay updated when you post new stuff. If you get a minute, visit my blog and I would really appreciate it if you woud follow me. I'm trying to rebuild my site, I abandoned it for a whille so need to catch up. Once again, great blog!!!!

Kristi B
    Mommyhood, Makeup, & Must Haves

1. Kim Young

January 10, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Thank you, Kristi! I'm stopping by your blog as we speak. 🙂 Have a great Friday!

• Ginger Bergemann

January 10, 2014 at 2:33 pm

So cute! I love the idea of the peek-boo! It's perfect. If you're interested, I'd love to have you link up to the link party going on right now at Gingerly Made. http://www.gingerlymade.com/2014/01/show-tell-59.html

1. Kim Young

January 10, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Thanks so much, Ginger! I'll definitely take a look at the link party. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

• Elena

January 11, 2014 at 4:31 am

Very clever! Love the tutorial! Stopping by from Craftibilities.blogspot.com.

1. Kim Young