Coppery Candle Holder Plastic Spoon Craft

Posted in CRAFTS, DIY, Fall: Seasonal Decor and Crafts
on November 13, 2013

A plastic spoon craft that yields a beautiful copper artichoke-shaped hurricane candle holder that will look beautiful on your fall or Thanksgiving table!

Plastic Spoon Craft
I confess I haven’t been feeling very creative lately – I think it’s something that comes and goes with me. One moment, I have ideas spewing forward faster than I can keep up, and then suddenly, the creative well just dries up. Luckily, this project was SO easy and inexpensive that it didn’t require much effort or creativity at all! Even better, if you’re like me – needing something to do with your hands other than open, and eat, Halloween candy, this is just the thing.

How to Make an Artichoke Candle Globe Plastic Spoon Craft

To make 2 globes you will need:

*Affiliate links included for your convenience

1. Snap the handle off of the spoon right below the hollow. This is the most challenging part – SO tedious! But, when you’re snapping spoon handles you aren’t eating candy, so there’s that!
  2. Glue a single layer of spoons, spoon tip facing up, with an overhang of approximately 1/4 of an inch above the lip of the hurricane globe.

3. Continue adding spoons in rows, overlapping the previous row all the way down until the entire globe is covered.

4. Paint the entire piece in Rustoleum Dark Brown. When dry, lightly apply a mist of Rustoleum Canyon Black and then spritz with Krylon Premium Copper Brilliant.

The result looks very much like a bronzed metal. I used LED candles as I’m not sure how well this would hold up with a real flame and heat. The light shines softly through the gaps of the hurricane, and highlights the texture created by the overlapping spoons.

Plastic Spoon Craft - on table

All in all, an excellent addition to my Thanksgiving display! Not too shabby for a total cost of $12.50!

Thanks for stopping by!

Enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

/ /

• Julia@Happy House and Home

VERY cute idea! I like the spoon art I've seen on Pinterest, but I love yours the best! I love the copper look! Thank you – I'm going to pin and try this. Question – did you used scissors to cut the spoons? 🙂

November 15, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks so much, Julia! I used two methods for removing the handles – on the extra cheap plastic spoons I was able to use scissors, which was so quick and easy. On the other type of spoon I used wire cutters, as they were too thick to cut with scissors – this method, not so quick and easy. I would recommend the thinner plastic for ease – once I applied them, it made no difference visually.

November 15, 2013 at 6:05 pm Reply
  • the cape on the corner

using that copper spray really makes it look totally unlike a diy piece. awesome!

November 18, 2013 at 3:34 pm Reply
  • Kayla @ Home Coming

It turned out beautifully! Great work. Thanks so much for linking up to The DIY'ers!

November 18, 2013 at 9:18 pm Reply
  • Brittnei Washington

Are you serious? I wasn't thinking it would be made out of spoons! This is so awesome! I'm glad your creative juices returned for this one! Thanks for sharing with us at Countdown in Style! Don't forget to stop by Friday to see if you are featured! 🙂

November 19, 2013 at 12:04 am Reply
  • Kim~madeinaday

these hurricanes are soo cute!! Stopping by to let you know I am featuring you tomorrow on Made in a Day! Thanks for linking up!
    Kim

November 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm Reply
  • April @ 100lb Countdown

Beautiful, but I'm not sure that I would have the patience to do it!

Thanks for sharing and linking up with Countdown in Style! Don't forget to come back on Friday to see if you were featured!

~~April~~