Grown-up Grilled Cheese – Comfort Food at it’s best

There is something about Fall that just demands comfort. I am so ready for it to be here. I’m ready for cozy sweaters on cool days, and walks taking in all the sights and earthy smells. Like many of you, it’s just my favorite time of year. It’s not quite time yet, and I can be patient – but only if I can fill the days of late summer with reminders of what is to come.

I’m starting with food. What is more comforting than grilled cheese? It can’t be just an ordinary grilled cheese – Oh no, there is no Kraft slices between two pieces of white for this girl. I’m looking for a grown-up grilled cheese.. luckily, I have just the recipe. Imagine, if you will, ooey gooey provolone (or swiss) melted in harmony with caramelized onions and mushrooms, grilled to a perfectly crusted golden brown, dripping with goodness.. for just 340 calories. Oh yeah, it’s real. And, I love it. I love it so much, that I’m going to share it with you!

This recipe is adapted from the Eat This Not That No Diet Diet book. Yes, I’m one of those girls who just buys books at the grocery store that I think will make me skinny. Go ahead, judge me. Just wait until after you’ve tried the sandwich. If you’re really hungry, take their recommendation and serve with a fruit salad. Delish, trust me.

Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Sauteed Mushrooms (Adapted from Eat This Not That No Diet Diet book)

1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced – the recipe called for cremini – I’m not a fan and used button
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 slices of bread – the recipe called for rye, I only had honey wheat on hand
3 slices Reduced Fat Provolone Deli-Style Cheese Slices OR 1/2 cup shredded Swiss Cheese
1/4 cup caramelized onions (see below)
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (optional)
1/2 tbsp softened butter

Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 6  minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Lay two slices of bread on a cutting board, topping one slice with the cheese of your choice. Top cheese with mushrooms, onions and thyme, if using. Top with remaining slice of bread. Spread butter on both sides of sandwich.

Heat a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the sandwich and cook for 5 to 6 minutes per side, until fully toasted and golden brown.

Makes 1 serving.

Caramelized Onions
A lengthy process – but well worth the wait!

Heat a sauce pan over low heat. Add 1 tbsp of butter and melt. Add one large onion, thinly sliced to the butter. Add a generous pinch of salt (this will draw out the moisture) and cover. Cook for 20-45 minutes, depending on how sweet you like your onions, removing the lid and stirring every 3-4 minutes.

This post was featured at:
Made in a Day

• Lisa

September 13, 2013 at 12:53 pm

This sounds amazing! I actually had grilled cheese my list to research for fun recipes. Thanks!

1. Kim Young

September 16, 2013 at 3:30 pm

It is super yummy, Lisa. It definitely is the season! Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy! 🙂

• Erin Indahl-Fink

September 13, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Hi there! Stopping by from Simply Create. Saw your grilled cheese, pinned right away! Want this for lunch soon! Thanks for the great idea.

1. Kim Young

September 16, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Thanks for stopping, Erin and thanks for pinning! I can't wait visit your blog as well. I hope you get a chance to try it for lunch soon!

• Kim~madeinaday

September 18, 2013 at 1:23 am

Yum~ these sound fabulous! Thanks for linking up on Made in a Day!
    Kim

• Kim~madeinaday

September 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Yum! I am featuring your sandwich tomorrow on Made in a day! Thanks for linking up!
    Kim

• Michelle Melville

September 19, 2013 at 2:17 am

This looks amazing! I am pinning this! I found your post at the Ginger Snap link up, thanks for sharing!

• Uncookie Cutter

February 23, 2016 at 8:51 pm

Shut up, this looks so good!!