Welcome to Fall Wreath – An Easy Fabric Wreath

Posted in OUTSIDE, WALL ART
on September 19, 2013
Create a welcoming entrance by making this lovely Autumn Wreath with fabric, burlap, and acorn embellishments. A fun Autumn project!
Autumn Wreath

Hi there! I’m dropping by with a fun, simple fabric Autumn wreath! Nothing says “Welcome Fall” more than a welcoming entrance – what better way to create a welcoming entrance than with a cute Autumn wreath all decked out for the season?

Although most of my home is ready for fall, my front entrance is falling more than a bit behind. Fall is here! It’s time for my front door to show it! At least according to the acorns, we found the other day and all of the comfort food I’ve been consuming as of late. We won’t talk about that.

Acorn Wreath Crafts

My Autumn Wreath Research

To begin, I did some scouting on Pinterest and came up with a few ideas. Some of my favorites were this wood and burlap wreath at findinghomeonline.com and this unique and straightforward apple wreath. My absolute favorite was a cardstock wreath made by Alice Carmon at Bella Blvd.

wood and burlap fall wreath
source

apples wreath
source

paperwreath
source

As much as I loved the paper version, doing an Autumn wreath for my front door using paper for the leaves was probably not going to work out – at least not for more than a day or so! So, I borrowed some of the elements from the Paper wreath and decided to do something similar in fabric. Here’s what I did:

How to Make an Autumn Wreath for Your Door

Autumn Wreath Fabric
*This post contains affiliate links for your convenience

What You Need

What you Do

Prep Your Fabric

1.Coat the pieces of fabric with a thin layer of mod podge, using a paint brush, and allow it to dry. To speed up the drying process, if it’s nice outside, consider laying the fabric pieces out to dry in the sun, in a place they will not adhere to the surface or hang them to dry.

Autumn Wreath - Fabric stiffening

Cut Out Your Leaves

2. Once dry, create and cut a leaf template out of scrap paper. Trace the leaf onto the fabric pieces and cut out the leaf shapes. I was able to get about 15-20 leaves out of each fat quarter piece.

Autumn Wreath - burlap wrap

Add Burlap Ribbon

3. Wrap the burlap around the wreath form tightly, gluing along the back, overlapping each wrap. Ensure no gaps are showing and completely cover the form, gluing the end to secure when you’ve gone all the way around.

Autumn Wreath - Attach fabric leaves

Attach the Leaves

4. Begin to glue the leaves to the wreath attaching the leaves to the burlap, starting with the bottom of the front of the leaf first, then folding over the raw edge, working from the outside in. Be sure to alternate the fabric patterns.

5. Continue around the wreath form, adding the second row approximately a half inch in front of the first row, and the third row about a half inch in front of the second.

Autumn Wreath - Hang on Door

6. Turn the wreath over and gently glue any leaves that are not cooperating and staying in line – if only that worked with kids! Ha!

Autumn Wreath - Attach acorns

Add Embellishments

7. Create a bow out of a long strip of wired burlap ribbon. The nice thing about this stuff is that it’s stiff and a bit sticky, which helps to hold the form of the bow nicely. Create a second bow out of a long piece of jute, attaching acorns to the ends with glue and knotting over the stems. Attach the entire bow to the burlap bow, completing the look with a small button embellishment.

Autumn Wreath - Add Welcome

8. First, paint the “Welcome” letters with red paint.

9. Then, thread beads onto a piece of floral wire, then glue the painted letters to the wire, between the beads. Finally, thread the floral wire through the burlap on either end and, spiral the wire on the ends to hold it place.

10. Hang and enjoy!

diy fall wreaths
how to make fall wreaths for front door

And.. That’s all folks – it’s complete! Due to having my new Autumn wreath on display, my front entrance feels festive, and well on the way to saying.. “hello, fall! I’m here!”

If you like this project, enter your email address to subscribe for non-stop Knock it Off Kim fun!

Like this project? Then pin it for later: Fabric Leaves Fall Wreath

Autumn Wreath Pin

• robin lorraine williamson

that is so lovely I love door decorations following from shine on fridays hop have a great day following on google+ I'm lorraine at http://lorrainesresources.blogspot.com

September 20, 2013 at 3:02 pm Reply
  • Amberly Steele

This is really cute! I love the acorns!

September 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm Reply
  • Sarah Vanderkooy

So pretty, very unique idea. Love your fabric choices. Thanks for sharing.

September 20, 2013 at 9:10 pm Reply
  • marty (A Stroll Thru Life)

Love this idea and such a great tutorial too. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will go live this afternoon. http://www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

September 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm Reply
  • Kayla Janachovsky

Beautiful job! Don't forget to link up to The DIY'ers. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-diyers-30.html

September 24, 2013 at 12:20 am Reply
  • HEATHER GRAHAM

This wreath is precious! I found you at Craft-O-Maniac's linky party, and wanted to stop in and say hi. I'm a new follower (facebook & G+), and can't wait to read more on your site! Two other bloggers and I host a weekly linky party, and it's live tonight… I'd love for you to come over & share this post & more… The hop is featured on all three sites, and we share each link on Facebook and Pinterest, so it's great exposure! Excited to get to know you, and see more of your posts… Hope you are having a fabulous week! You can find the party at http://stringtownhome.net/?p=542

September 25, 2013 at 1:43 am Reply
  • Kim~madeinaday

Love the fabric petals on this wreath! stopping by to let you know I am featuring you tomorrow on Made in a Day! Thanks for linking up!
    Kim

September 25, 2013 at 4:31 pm Reply
  • Nellie's Cozy place

Your wreath turned out really cute. Such a cute idea…………..

Blessings, Nellie

September 25, 2013 at 7:13 pm Reply
  • Navy Wifey Peters

Cute wreath! I love the fabric leaves! I love the fall colors and the green bow. I pinned this! Great work!

Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

October 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm Reply
  • Barbara

Your wreath is beautiful! What lively colors you chose for the leaves and I love the acorns hanging from the twine. It is so colorful and cheerful! I hope it’s on your front door where passersby can see it!

August 26, 2017 at 11:48 pm Reply