On the lookout for decorative storage container ideas? This tutorial will show you how to turn a cheap file box into an adorable storage container!
As work continues on the Homeschool/Media/Everything Room it’s glaringly apparent that we have a desperate need for a storage container solution. Let me rephrase – we need a cheap, attractive storage solution – emphasis on the cheap!
Simply put, I have a lot of craft stuff. And, it had three different homes – I was hoping to corral it into one space with this room. One of these days I’ll get around to organizing all of it and will build a permanent craft supply home, but today I’m using these inexpensive plastic file boxes to store the craft supplies.
Don’t get me wrong; the file boxes work well – they are large enough and cheap, but they are kinda ugly and hide nothing with all of their hole-e-ness. Can you say add-to-the-clutter?
Ugly will never do! I came up with an easy fix, using scrapbook paper and jute.
How to Make a Cheap File Box into Decorative Storage Container
* Affiliate links included for your convenience
You will need:
Label Printer Sticker paper (optional)
Spray Adhesive (optional)
Here is what I did:
1. Create a pattern out of scrap paper by placing it against the side of the file box and loosely tracing the edge with a pencil. Cut out the pattern.
2. Trace the pattern onto the cardstock and cut out. Check the fit against the file box, trimming where needed.
3. Attach the cardstock cut-out to the file box using hot glue, as shown. The holes have a raised edge that allows the adhesive to adhere to the cardstock nicely.
4. To add interest, braid three pieces of jute twine (each about 10″ long) together, knotting at each end of the braid. Attach the twist under and around the handles, using hot glue.
The labels are available for free download to my subscribers – You can download them here.
5. Print off the stickers to a sticky label paper and adhere, or print them to regular printer paper affix them to the boxes using spray adhesive.
And that’s it!
In just a few minutes you’ll have the cute decorative storage you’re searching for. It’s funny how much of a difference something so simple can make. Quick, simple, and cheap. Just the way I like my crafts!