It’s been a super busy week – I’m knee-deep in black paint refinishing Ayden’s furniture. No, I’ve got paint everywhere. On my knees – because I keep kneeling in the paint I’ve spilled and on both of my feet, because I was wearing flip flops and spray painting – Charming. I’d show you, but the paint isn’t the only problem – I so need a pedicure.
Too, since I can’t seem to paint anything without spilling a significant amount of paint on the floor – especially if I’m using black – let’s just say, the paint is flying!
In the meantime, I’ve also been doing a fair amount of store perusing and had a chance to check out Joann’s Fabrics yesterday. I went in looking for rub ‘n’ buff and ran into a whole lot of cute spring and summer things.. and did not come out with the rub ‘n’ buff! For those of you who are a little confused as to what rub ‘n’ buff is, it’s a little bit of magic in a tube, and I’ve been using it to transform Ayden’s dresser. I promise to show you very soon!
Anyway, while I was there, a cute little hurricane candle holder caught my eye – it was all sweet, and had burlap, and a little button, and it just reminded me of warm nights and sweet scents.. and of course, I forgot to take a picture of it. But, just trust me, it was cute and sweet, and you’d have loved it!
To make sure you could catch a glimpse, I made my version, and it took less than an hour.
What I used:
- A hurricane lamp (mine was from the dollar store)
- A candle
- A piece of burlap about 5-6″ in width and the circumference of my hurricane lamp + 1″. You could use burlap ribbon just as easily, but I had a ton left over from this burlap wreath
- Scrapbooking buttons
- A glue gun, but this could also be accomplished with craft glue, it would just increase the drying time.
What I did:
1. I used hot glue to attach the burlap piece first to the glass, and then secured again after wrapping.
2. I took a long piece of raffia, adhered it to the bottom of the seam of burlap, and wrapped the raffia around the burlap, from bottom to top. Once at the top, I reversed and wrapped from top to bottom, gluing as needed.
3. I put the scrapbooking buttons in place.
4. I added candles!