Hi, friends! It’s week 3 of the $100 Room Challenge, and I’m behind!
If you’re just popping in for the first time, and aren’t sure what the $100 Room Challengemay be, let me give you a quick recap. Some of my favorite bloggers and I are each making over a room with a $100 budget in just four short weeks! Many thanks to Erin ofLemons, Lavender, and Laundryfor putting together such a fun event! For more information on the $100 Room Challenge, check out my post fromweek 1!
If you’re looking for the full story on what exactly a $100 Room Challenge is, Erin spells it out clearly, but I’ll give you the paraphrased version. Pick a room. Make the room over in one month. Spend no more than $100. I’ve chosen to make-over my, more than neglected, powder room. The first week I shared my inspiration board which included a lot of bold navy and green pattern with strong accents, and I was feeling pretty good about my choices. Last week, I talked about my inability to trust my bold instincts, taking the safe way out and eventually making my way back to bold, which left off with me stenciling a bold navy pattern. Here’s the thing. I didn’t really like the pattern. I kept walking into the bathroom to work on it, and I’d just keep making that same meh sound. I knew if I continued I’d eventually end up hating it so I just kind of sat on it. And surfed the web looking for inspiration. And then looked for some more. And then, one night, I came across this loveliness from Caitlin Wilson:
Then found this yummy use of the wallpaper by The Decor Detective in which she paired it with pinks, lots of gold and a navy vanity. All of that together had me saying OH-M-GEE instead of meh. Sold. It’s everything that I love. For me, the pattern is sophisticated, whimsical and fun, and a bit eclectic – both classic and modern. So, then I went in this direction and all of a sudden, I was really and truly excited rather than trying to get myself excited!
The wallpaper itself was a bit pricey for this challenge, but it was a pattern I could easily mimic.
I created a stencil for the walls, using an Exacto (sp?) knife to mark holes in the paper over the large splotches and marked them on the wall with a Crayola washable blue marker.
Then I went over the splotches with the same “Compass Blue” used on the vanity using a 1″ brush, following up with a small paint brush to smooth things over and to add dots in a random pattern. Yes, that is my son’s paintbrush. It’s perfect for the job – no judging!
As you can see I’m only half done.
Once I changed the pattern I also needed a new mirror. Since a new mirror wasn’t in the budget, my existing mirror also got a make-over with a faux silver-leafing using aluminum foil. I’ll be sharing that fun project on Monday!
The vanity received a quick paint job using my new favorite paint, Behr Marquee, in “Compass Blue” eggshell finish (one coat, y’all!). New ultra sleek and modern pulls and a quick spray paint of the hinges with Rustoleum Silver in a hammer finish completed the update.
I still have a TON to do but I’m feeling good about how it’s looking so far and I’m confident that I’ll finish on time!
I still need to do the following:
Create shelving above the toilet
Finish painting and add chair rail trim
Makeover the rug
Decide on lighting
Deal with a towel bar of some sort
Organize the disaster under the sink
Artwork. That period is there for a reason.
So.. maybe I’m not feeling so confident after all. Eek! Lucky for me I am a craft and building supply hoarder so even if I’m not confident about getting it all done I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to stay in budget. I hope.