So, are you ready for the $100 Room Challenge big reveal of my now much prettier powder room?
I’m going to keep you in suspense just a minute longer. First, let’s do a quick recap in case you’re just popping in for the first time, and aren’t sure what the $100 Room Challengeis. Erin of Lemons, Lavender, and Laundry put together this fun, and fabulous event brings together some of my favorite bloggers, each making over a room with just $100 budget in four short weeks. For more information on the $100 Room Challenge, check out my post from week 1, or check here where Erin spells it out clearly.
I chose to make-over my overly-neglected powder room. It was dark, dreary and very unfinished – not ideal for what is probably the hardest working room in the house!
The first week I shared my inspiration board which included a lot of bold navy and green pattern with strong accents, and I was feeling pretty good about my choices, but it was the execution that made me second guess myself. Week 2 I talked about my inability to trust my bold instincts and left off with me stenciling a bold navy pattern. Week 3 I shared a new direction, which in reality means I was actually just getting started on this challenge.. and this week. Well, I know why you’re really here, so let’s get to it! Grab a coffee – or a glass of wine, because it’s always five o’clock somewhere, and I’ll bring on the obscene amount of pictures! Make sure to scroll to the bottom for my budget breakdown and to see the other oodles of beautiful room make-overs from my blogging pals!
We added shelving above the commode. We made the shelves using 1″x 6″ pine leftover from the built-ins we made for the last One Room Challenge. To beef them up, we stacked two boards on top of one another and added a lattice strip trim to hide the seam. Ironically, I had purchased brackets for this room a million moons ago but had never gotten around to hanging the actual shelves. The shelves hold decorative objects as well as closed storage for odds and ends, in what was once a blank space.
I struggled with the idea of artwork. I wanted something that would have a presence, a bit of color, but would not overwhelm or underwhelm the bold pattern of the walls. I couldn’t find any one single thing, so I created a gallery of images all found on Etsy and added a simple frame. The images were printed onto printable vinyl and applied to a 10″x10″ canvas.
Of course, the biggest change was the addition of the Caitlyn Wilson Wallpaper hack that was made by loosely stenciling a similar pattern with paint. The room desperately needed some oomph and this more than supplied that in spades.
It wasn’t in the budget to change the light fixture, so instead, we changed out the globe shades. This is a relatively inexpensive upgrade that makes a tremendous difference, not only to the look of the fixture, but also the amount of light it gives off. This room really needs a 3-bulb fixture, but the white shades do help quite a bit in the interim until it’s in the budget to replace it.
I very much wanted a gilded mirror in this room but replacing the mirror would have cost a fortune. Instead, the one we had received a silver-leafing and stencil update, making it affordable and fun!
The vanity received a new finish in week two with a bold navy blue with the slightest of sheen. New cabinet pulls had the existing vanity looking brand new.
Under the sink also got a little TLC. Gone is the disorganization! At some point, I’ll get to making it a bit prettier, but for now, it’s much more functional.
Using the doors for toothbrush and hair paraphernalia increased the available storage substantially, and helps to keep things out of the sight of guests.
Last, after much deliberation on what to do with the rug, I decided on keeping it exactly how it is. The pattern on the rug compliments the similar pattern on the mirror.
Here was my to-do list – can I just tell you how excited I am that I completed nearly everything!?
Add some bold pattern to the walls
Find a better solution for toothbrushes and hand towels
Change the artwork
Replace the trash can, toothbrush holder, and towel bar.
Create storage for hair products
Consider replacing the rug
Update the lighting
I’m considering this project a BIG win if all I’m left with is replacing the trash can!
Let’s talk budget.
First, can I just say that staying within a $100 was challenging, but it’s definitely do-able. Lucky for me I’m a hoarder, and tend to over-buy supplies which meant much of what I used I had on hand from other projects. Still, I did go a tiny bit over. But, I’m fine with it. 🙂
Let’s look back just one more time –
And with that said, Knock it Off Kim, OUT! At least for now. But, before you go, check out the other reveals.. and get more wine!