With Thanksgiving just days away, it seems like the perfect time for my first Christmas project – a DIY Holiday Cracker – particularly as it’s something that can be used for either a last minute addition to your Thanksgiving table or your upcoming Christmas celebration!
To make it even more fun, I’m joining some blogger friends to bring you 15 bling-y holiday projects, plus the chance to win a $150 Amazon gift card! Details are near the end of this post so be sure to scroll all the way through.
For me, I love a little bling on my holiday table and one way to get that is with Christmas Crackers. DIY Christmas Crackers are a tradition dating back to the 1800s in England. They are also a tradition dating back as far as I can remember, growing up in Canada, that my family took part in for both Christmas and Thanksgiving! These fun and colorful packets are shared with a partner, and “crack” or “pop” when opened by each partner grasping on each end and pulling like a wishbone. Once opened, you’ll find a tissue paper crown – yes, everyone has to wear it -, a joke or bit of trivia, and a tiny gift item of some sort.
|*This post contains affiliate links|
Now that I live in the US, until very recently, those in my family were the only weirdos wearing paper crowns around our Ca-merican Thanksgiving table (yes, that is a real word – that I made up). Lately, though, I’ve seen holiday crackers offered in many places such as Target and World Market. I’ve even seen kits available on Amazon to make your own. No matter how we come to have them, holiday crackers are something my kids look forward to every year, almost as much as pumpkin pie!
Although you can take part in the fun by purchasing them or buying a kit, there is just something about personalizing them to your family. I’m here today to show you how to make your own. They couldn’t be easier.
You will need:
- Trinkets – think party favors or useful things such as mini-flashlights, measuring tapes, or small toys, jokes
- Paper Crowns
- Cracker Snaps
- Cardboard Tubes
- Wrapping Paper
- Glue Gun
What to do:
- Take your wrapping paper and cut into an 8″x10″ square.
- Accordion fold the square along the edge and cut small shapes out along the fold about 2″ on each side – this will make it easier to form the ends by removing some of the bulk.
- Thread a snap through the cardboard tube and glue the snap to the edge of the paper outside the cuts you made in step 1.
- Roll up the tube tightly and glue.
- Tie off one end with ribbon.
- Fill with trinkets, candies, jokes/or trivia and especially the crowns!
- Tie off another end with ribbon and reshape ends. Some people use a shaper for this – I do not as I like them to look a little loose, like a gift.
- Add to your holiday table! When you’re ready, pick a partner. Each grab an end of the cracker and pulls to tear open – the one who comes away with the longest end is the winner! Tell your cheesy jokes and wear your paper crown while eating!