Dining/Play Room – The Big Reveal – One Room Challenge

Posted in DECOR, DINING ROOM, DIY, MAKEOVER CHALLENGES, PLAYROOM
on May 12, 2016

It has been a CRAZY week made much better by Chocolate Cake… but I bet that’s not why you’re here!

Let’s get this show on the road! Welcome to my One Room Challenge Reveal! I hope you brought wine and cookies!

Let’s recap for those of you who may be new here. We set out to overhaul our Dining Room into a multi-purpose space of a Playroom with Dining Room potential. I wanted a room that would function as a playroom the majority of the time but shows a pretty, sophisticated side when it was time for a formal dinner for ten. I wanted fun, colorful accessories, and art that would be comfortable in either setting and furniture that could serve more than one purpose.

Week #1 I shared my dreams and ideas, and I was so excited to hear that you all “got” my vision! Week #2 was all about sharing the plans and my crazy to-do list. Week #3 had a lot of talk about built-ins.  Week #4 I was able to brag about my new light, and the fixtures started rolling in. And last week, I made a serious dent in the to-do list, adding chairs, finishing the built-ins, and grabbing a few new accessories. #thenitgotreal

If you had an hour or so, I’d regale you with tales of the past week and all the crazy that came along with it – I would because I like to whine sometimes – but let’s just say I was applying poly to the table that almost wasn’t this morning. For real.

All of the stress was worth it though because I am so excited every single time I walk by this room! I’m going to stop talking now and show you a ridiculous amount of pictures, starting with the Playroom version of the room, followed by the transition to a formal dining room – be sure to scroll all the way through!

A large – 9ft in length to be exact – console table and window seating, with built-in storage, surround a large open play area.

This large fabric hamper stores balls for play pillows for dinner.

Acrylic buckets and dishes provide sleek, pretty storage and display objects for a pop of color.

Custom Built-ins provide ample and accessible storage, along with display space aplenty.

My design assistant aka my son did some decorating on his own!

When playtime is over, this custom-built table easily transitions to a dining table that seats ten.

The “book cart” becomes a bar cart

I am just giddy with how this all turned out! It is precisely the way I envisioned it, and I can already tell it will be a perfect fit for our family!

Let’s take a look at the before so I can appreciate the after even more!

BEFORE

AFTER

Making over a room in six weeks was way more work than I expected – it is a massive undertaking and I could not have gotten even half as much done without the help of my entire family, my husband especially. This project truly was a joint effort! Thank you and much love to him and all the rest of my family. Thank you to Linda, of Calling it Home, for putting together the One Room Challenge. Without you, I’d likely still be looking at my “before” dining room for quite some time! And thank you to my fellow bloggers and friends – having you cheer me on and encourage me to keep going even when the going got a little crazy meant the world. xoxo

Special thanks to LampsPlus for sponsoring this post.

And thank you to YOU, for following along with me, and all of your encouragement along the way. Be sure to check back next Thursday for a full source list!  As for now, if you need me, I’ll be napping and catching up on a little bit of laundry.. We may or not be running short of socks!

Want the whole story?

Updated: Shop the Room!

Pin me for later: Dining/Play Room – The Big Reveal

• Christina @ TheDIYMommy.com

It looks great! I love all of the pops of bold colour.

May 12, 2016 at 4:59 am Reply
  • Christine Martin

Love the table! Seems like the perfect place to gather!

May 12, 2016 at 5:25 am Reply
  • Lindi Vanderschaaf

Such attention to detail!! I LOVE it!! Seriously the bold colours are awesome, and that table is unreal! Great job!!

May 12, 2016 at 5:38 am Reply
  • Lindi Vanderschaaf

May 12, 2016 at 5:38 am Reply
  • Maria Brittis

The playroom looks amazing, its a fun room with loads of color, which is my favorite party. You did a great transformation from what it was before. Maria

May 12, 2016 at 11:48 am Reply
  • Amanda @ Old House to New Home

This is seriously amazing. I can't believe how functional it is! I would love to turn my dining room into a play room but we use it so often. Your custom table is honestly the perfect solution. This is one of my favorite ORC rooms!

May 12, 2016 at 1:21 pm Reply
  • Nicole Q-Schmitz

The room turned out beautifully with all the custom DIYs you were able to accomplish – that converting table is amazing 🙂

May 12, 2016 at 1:57 pm Reply
  • Lori Terceira

Wow,what great design and storage choices.

May 12, 2016 at 3:50 pm Reply
  • Bliss

Excellent – you pulled it off for a win, an A+, an awesome, an amazing, and an I love it!

May 12, 2016 at 4:45 pm Reply
  • Mary Hunnicutt

This turned out great! I love all of the colors you chose and that table and padded storage benches are fabulous!

May 12, 2016 at 4:54 pm Reply
  • Danielle

That table is awesome! What a great room!

May 12, 2016 at 5:24 pm Reply
  • Vel Criste

I love all the colors and your creative plate wall rocks! I also love that you found a space for everything your family needs and wants! Congrats and Cheers for another room done!

May 12, 2016 at 6:30 pm Reply
  • Elise @ Her Heart and Home

So colorful and practical! Love the rug! xx

May 12, 2016 at 6:40 pm Reply
  • Leslie

So that table is pretty friggin' awesome. I love the creativity you used to solve a problem that so many people have with spaces like this!

May 12, 2016 at 7:21 pm Reply
  • Krystle Pickens

Form meets function… I love that you found a way to make this space not only work for your family, but pull double duty… so cool, and so well done too!!

May 12, 2016 at 8:03 pm Reply
  • Uncookie Cutter

KIM!!! It looks so freakin' great! Totally worth it! The table is absolutely amazing! Nice work my friend!

May 13, 2016 at 2:16 am Reply
  • Amanda

I don't think I've ever seen a dining/playroom combo – but it makes so much sense. My dining room is easily one of the most under utilized in my house. I love all of your choices. Great job!

May 13, 2016 at 11:15 am Reply
  • Kristin Thompson

Looks so great….I'm loving your cow print, it makes the room so fun! Kristin @ Postbox Designs

May 13, 2016 at 7:13 pm Reply
  • Barbara

Great Job Kim!!! Love, love, love that table!

May 14, 2016 at 11:40 am Reply
  • Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

I love that table!!! So nice to have a double function for this space. Well done!

May 14, 2016 at 1:02 pm Reply
  • Hey Fitzy.com

You did an amazing job creating a transformational space. The table is fabulous!!! I love the little whimsical details that you included that give the space a great personality! Well done!

May 15, 2016 at 5:11 pm Reply
  • Brenda

Brilliant! I love the idea of a truly multi-functional room and you have pulled it off… with STYLE!

May 16, 2016 at 3:23 pm Reply
  • Nicki Parrish

I adore the way you made this space do double duty! I have never seen a table that does that before! It's awesome! My dining room is also an office,, so I understand the need to use a room for more than one purpose. Great job!

May 16, 2016 at 5:56 pm Reply
  • Tara Lehman

Your dining room looks awesome Kim! Such a great idea to hide the kids toys inside the benches and I love the dining table and that cow pick :). Great job!!!

May 17, 2016 at 11:56 pm Reply
  • Laura McKenna

Can't believe you pulled this off — when I initially saw your plan, I thought, well THIS isn't going to look good. Oh I was SO. WRONG>

Really fantastic job — you did an amazing job of pulling together 2 completely unrelated functions in this space.

For sheer creativity and execution, you get 5 gold stars. One of the best ORC Partcipating results . . .

May 26, 2016 at 11:02 am Reply