A Dining/Play Room – Painted-over wallpaper blues – One Room Challenge Week #2

Posted in DECOR, DINING ROOM, DIY, MAKEOVER CHALLENGES, PLAYROOM
on April 14, 2016

Hello, hello! Welcome back for week #2 of the latest round of the One Room Challenge hosted by Calling It Home

Thanks for all of the love last week during week #1 of this crazy challenge. Survival is key and always so much easier with support. You all offered that in abundance! To all of you that may be new to Knock-it-off Kim, welcome, and please consider following along on this crazy ride!

Let the pretty begin! Plant | Picture frame | Duck – Ayden’s!

In case you missed last week, I’m trying my hardest to turn my formal dining room, currently being used as a poorly designed playroom with dining room furniture, into an actual playroom with dining room potential – aka a multi-purpose room!

Idea board – built-ins | lighting | table | chair | bench | pouf | storage cart | toy storage | rug

I’m happy to say we’ve survived the week, although I can’t say that everyone came through unscathed. Shay and I work well together.. until we don’t. Still, after a few bumps early in the week, we managed to make some progress!

Rug

Last week, we talked about some of my inspirations, and I shared my idea board, but I remembered after posting that I hadn’t shared a project list! So, without further adieu, here is what we’ll be trying to get done

built-ins || these will be along the main wall and visible from all angles
table || build a restoration hardware table with a fold-out top
storage/dining benches || benches that will work for dining and toy storage
new dining chairs || side chairs useable as dining chairs
artwork || something fun but appropriate for a dining room
mobile storage cart || this will work as the primary book storage for the playroom
paint || a neutral color that reflects natural light and a colorful feature wall
rug || pattern, texture, and color
lighting || less “chandelier” like overhead, table lamps and recessed lighting
window treatments || updated and cordless
So, now that we got through that, what DID we get done? Well, although we worked our tails off, it doesn’t seem like a lot because we didn’t complete very many things! There was a lot done, just not a lot done, you know what I’m saying?

Let’s talk about the good news first, which is all about the pretty!
I’ve been picking up some great accents on my travels.

The rug came in, and we love both the texture it provides and the color. I think I could put pretty much anything against it, and it would pull the color, which is excellent for a fickle one like me who is constantly changing things up. It’s also unbelievably soft and cozy to lounge on!

Rug
I was beyond excited to receive this box in the mail from my gracious sponsor LampsPlus! I’ll keep you in the dark on that one for now.. see what I did there?.. but be prepared to have your socks knocked off when I share what’s inside!

The bases for the built-ins are in, secured and painted. I plan to do a complete post on the built-ins early next week, so for now, just know they are well on their way! Not so much for the cabinet doors – why does it seem like there always one more door to paint?

Now onto the other news. We’ll call it the “blistering paint project.”

We were so excited to get to painting as this was the last room painted in what we like to call nicotine beige. I think in another home with better natural light, we’d have liked the beige our entire home had been painted in, but without the natural light, it just looked dirty.

The last strip of nicotine beige

To brighten the space, we went with a lovely greige neutral, Glidden’s ‘Smooth Stone’ in an eggshell finish, for greater washability.

I think I mentioned last week that we ran into a bit of a problem when we went to paint. The previous owners had painted over wallpaper. Painting over wallpaper honestly is fine, provided the wallpaper underneath is firmly affixed to the wall, and there are no tears or bubbles. This is not the case in our home. This is the second room we’ve run into this problem with where randomly, large air bubbles appear in the paint signaling that moisture had gotten under the paper, causing us to have to remove the paper along with the painted surface. So not fun.

This wall was even a bit worse. The paper, which wasn’t vinyl, by the way, had been applied to an unprimed sheetrock. When we were stripping it, the only way to get it off was to remove the layer of paper from the sheetrock itself. It was an enormous mess!
At some point, we ended up abandoning removing the paper – it wasn’t coming off with a heat gun, it wasn’t coming off with water or fabric softener. It wasn’t coming off. And, trying to remove it was doing more harm than good. Eventually, we applied mud over the paper that remained only to have the remaining paper begin to bubble and blister.

So, what did we do? Well, we removed what we could, and re-mudded, since we had to remove some of the mud applied along with the wallpaper.

We let it dry, painted it – paint hides a lot, and we wanted to focus on what couldn’t be hidden – and re-mudded over the paint. Sanded. We repeated this about 3-4 times, using very thin coats of spackle, and sanding well after,  before we finally ended up with an acceptable surface.

Finally, we got to the painting, which is where all this began and finally, we have a fully painted room!

Here is where we stood at post-time.

He’s moved in – toys or no!

And, here is what our list looked like!

built-ins || these will be along the main wall and visible from all angles
table || build a restoration hardware table with a fold-out top
storage/dining benches || benches that will work for dining and toy storage
new dining chairs || side chairs useable as dining chairs
artwork || something fun but appropriate for a dining room
mobile storage cart || this will work as the primary book storage for the playroom
paint || a neutral color that reflects natural light and a colorful feature wall
rug || pattern, texture, and color
lighting || less “chandelier” like overhead, table lamps and recessed lighting
window treatments || updated and cordless

At least something was crossed off! So, there is a bit more painting to do and there are still a few things to come in that are on order. We’ve got to get cracking on the building of the table and completing the built-ins. I also still need to find artwork that I love. I’m seriously considering the purchase of a paint sprayer in the coming weeks. Maybe Santa will gift me early! Oh wait, my birthday is coming! Wish me luck!

The best place to start is at the beginning

Be sure to take a peek at the all of the other participants as well! There are some AMAZING designs coming out of this challenge – you don’t want to miss it!

• Iris Watts

Now that's a to-do list! Whew! Glad y'all had success getting the walls fixed and painted, and can move forward with other projects. It can get a bit stressful when taking on DIY project during this challenge, that's for sure. Just remember it's going to look amazing when you are done!

April 14, 2016 at 11:41 am Reply

Thanks so much for your encouragement, Iris! I can see how easy it would be to get really discouraged. Maybe panicked. Likely stressed. No, definitely stressed. lol! It's so much fun though! On my way to your blog now! 🙂

April 15, 2016 at 3:58 am Reply
  • ms shoe

Please share information on the rug. It is gorgeous! Love that you can pull out different colors. Our family room is the most used room in the house, and I do like to change accessories with the seasons, or just because! I get bored, and it is cheaper than moving or therapy. 🙂

April 14, 2016 at 1:03 pm Reply

Ack! How could I forget the source for the rug – by far my favorite thing right now! I too love the colors. I wasn't sure I was going to like it when I picked it up but I really do adore it – you can find it at World Market, although, be warned that they've sold out of the 8'x10' size. I think we're soul mates – changing accessories IS therapy! 🙂

April 15, 2016 at 3:57 am Reply
    • ms shoe

Thank you for the link! Agree–changing accessories is therapy. Once upon a time I was a kindergarten teacher, and worked for a principal who thought all bulletin boards should be changed once a month. You would not believe how many shower curtains I own. When the first of the month is looming, I have to change something!

April 26, 2016 at 5:06 pm Reply
  • Mary Hunnicutt

I love the rug and the Navy pillows. I cannot wait to see how it turns out!

April 14, 2016 at 3:15 pm Reply

Thanks, Mary! It's an adventure for sure!

April 15, 2016 at 3:54 am Reply
  • Kristin Thompson

Love all of the different pops of color! And kudos for getting those walls done 🙂 Kristin @ Postbox Designs

April 14, 2016 at 5:48 pm Reply

Thanks Kristin! I have to admit there might have been a moment where I thought about moving the built-ins to THAT wall just to not have to deal any longer, or even worse, just putting a large sheet over it and calling it art. It might have worked. So glad you stopped by!

April 15, 2016 at 3:45 am Reply
  • Samantha

Loving all the accessories you've gathered and the walls look great!!

April 14, 2016 at 8:06 pm Reply

Thank you for coming by, Samantha! I can use all the cheering on I can get!

April 15, 2016 at 3:37 am Reply
  • The Honeycomb Home

Wow, the paper bubbling under the paint must have been a major headache. I'm beginning to think the ORC might be the ultimate marriage test, lol! Your room looks amazing so far!

April 14, 2016 at 10:27 pm Reply

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Roxanne! I have to agree with you there.. DIY with two alphas.. recipe for a little bit of loudness at the least and the possibility of flying paint! lol! I'm heading over to take a look at your room!

April 15, 2016 at 3:31 am Reply
  • Laura Ingalls Gunn

Kim I adore the direction that your room is headed towards! You did SO much better than I did in my room this week.

I would love for you to share this post at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. I think our readers would really enjoy it!

Good luck in the upcoming week!

April 15, 2016 at 1:09 am Reply

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello, Laura! I'm headed over now to link-up and take a look at your ORC room!

April 15, 2016 at 3:23 am Reply
  • Jenny Leads - Refresh Living

I love the combo of green and blue, and that rug is AWESOME!!

April 15, 2016 at 11:27 am Reply
  • Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry

Sorry you had to go through such a hard time with the painting. Frustrating! However, all your hard work certainly paid off. The room looks gorgeous!

April 15, 2016 at 3:06 pm Reply
  • Stacey

Love this already! That rug and the accessories you've found are going to be wonderful. The built in too.

As one who has painted over wallpaper before, I'll just say sorry. I always wondered how that would go down the road.

Thanks so much for joining Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Sure hope you'll join us again next week so we can keep up with your progress.

Pinning. 🙂

April 15, 2016 at 4:20 pm Reply
  • Laura

You have created a wonderful design plan and that wall treatment is amazing.

Thank you for sharing this at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.
    We are so glad you are here.

Laura
    White Spray Paint
    TOHOT

April 15, 2016 at 7:06 pm Reply
  • Morgane @ Bear,Dolly and Moi

a lot of good progress, I am planning to build a very similar table for my outdoor patio (no fold out top for me).
    Best of luck!

April 15, 2016 at 7:23 pm Reply
  • Carrie at Kenarry Ideas for the Home

Kim, you made SO much progress this week! Way to go! Taking down all that wallpaper with paint on top of it had to be such a challenge. I like where this room is headed though and love how your kiddo is already starting to move in!

April 16, 2016 at 3:18 am Reply
  • Sarah Burnell

What a saga! Poor you! I'm glad that the walls are turning out well, though.

April 16, 2016 at 3:25 am Reply
  • Stephanie -Casa Watkins Living

Awww but it looks fantastic now! That rug is A-MAZING! I love how it has so many colors to pull from . Looking forward to seeing your week 3.

April 21, 2016 at 2:38 am Reply
  • Nicole Q-Schmitz

I need that rug in my life! I'm not even a rug person but I really like all the colours and there are so many possibilities to match paint/accessories. Hopefully the walls weren't too painful to patch up!

April 21, 2016 at 12:27 pm Reply
  • Katy {AShadeOfTeal}

That's such a bummer you had to do all that extra work just to paint. The outcome looks great though. I love the blue and green accents.

April 28, 2016 at 11:11 pm Reply