Indoor Fairy Garden in Pots

Posted in DECOR, DIY, OUTSIDE
on February 25, 2016
The one thing you can count on in Virginia is the crazy weather. After a particularly unpredictable and stormy day, filled with chilly moments, tornado-inducing winds, torrential downpours, all ending with a 70+ evening, I’m back with a fun little fairy garden project. Clearly my brain is still on Spring’s inevitable arrival

Today’s project started as a challenge, specifically a Create and Share Challenge hosted by the sweet Stephanie of Casa Watkins.

Every month, each member of a group of some of my favorite bloggers is given the same item and tasked with coming up with an original idea for that piece. The only rules are that the entire item must be used in the final result. At the end of the challenge, each blogger presents their project. Our item this month I found to be especially challenging for some reason. I even had a brainstorming session with my family, searching for ideas. Out of that session came this one – a fairy garden!
I love the whimsy of a fairy garden. There is something magical about them. You half expect a real fairy to come flitting out from under the flowers and plants! That’s what I was trying to achieve with this project.
This is what we started with.
Adding large craft sticks to the front and back of the stand with a glue gun, spacing them slightly apart, gave the look of fencing.
Applying dark walnut wax to the entire piece, matched the new fence pieces to the old finish, and adding a small circle of floral foam to each pot allowed picks to be held in place, including the tiny birdnest used in the garden.
The nest fit perfectly into one of the pots and was then surrounded by reindeer moss. A tiny fairy nestles in, her little face peeking out from under the pansies.
A thicker moss across across the other pot, a carpet for the other accents. Flower stalks are a lovely umbrella to shade a comfy chair.
The finishing touches – adding a tiny pennant across the bottom and a sweet sign makes sure fairies know they are welcome.
I  can’t wait for my real garden to come to life, but in the meantime, this adorable indoor garden will keep my hopes alive and bring a smile to my face.
Be sure to take a look at the ideas some of my friends came up with! Cheers!

Run To Radiance ~ Easy Mother’s Day Gift
The Twin Cedars ~ Silverware Holder
Knock It Off Kim ~ Mini Fairy Garden
My Life From Home ~ Planter Birdhouse
Lilacs and Longhorns ~ Fixer Upper Style Chalkboard Shelf
Farmhouse 40 ~ Restyled Mini Pot Stand

• Amy Dowling

What a cute idea!! LOVE IT! Great job.

February 25, 2016 at 1:40 pm Reply

Thanks Amy! Loved your birdhouse as well!

February 25, 2016 at 3:03 pm Reply
  • Julie Lilacs and Longhorns

Super cute and so very creative!!

February 25, 2016 at 2:26 pm Reply

Thanks so much Julie! I was with you.. this one stumped me. Glad we all knocked it out of the park!

February 25, 2016 at 3:04 pm Reply
  • Tania @ Run to Radiance

How creative! 🙂 I love this! I am not very good at keeping real gardens alive, so I should try a fairy one! 🙂

February 25, 2016 at 4:43 pm Reply
  • Benita Roberts

This is absolutely adorable! My crazy brain would have never thought of something this creative! Love it!!!

February 25, 2016 at 11:55 pm Reply
  • Meghan Danielle

Oh my gosh, I was just thinking today about one of these. I've never really thought I'd be a fairy garden kind of person, but you are so right! It feels like one will just move right in. So whimsical! Almost magical! I love it!

February 26, 2016 at 10:04 pm Reply
  • Stephanie -Casa Watkins

How adorable!!! Love it Kim. So creative to use the stand as a fairy garden. Perfect for Spring!!!!! Thanks for participating in the Create and Share mini challenge.

February 29, 2016 at 6:11 am Reply
  • Rebecca at SimplePracticalBeautiful.com

That's an adorable fairy garden. Very nice job!

March 7, 2016 at 11:21 pm Reply