Coppery Pinecone Hurricanes – Or, bringing new meaning to the word “spooning”

Posted in DECOR, DIY, LIVING ROOM
on November 13, 2013

I confess, I haven’t been feeling very creative lately – I think it’s something that comes and goes with me. One moment, I have ideas spewing forward faster than I can keep up, and then suddenly, the creative well just dries up. Unfortunately, when it goes, it really is gone, and all I can do is spend my time dreaming about what I might like to do when it returns. Such was the case with this project.

In an effort to give my hands something other to do than open, and eat, Halloween candy, I decided the dry spell was over. I’d been eyeing up a similar project that I came upon while stalking Pinterest, such as this one over at Craftberrybush.

Source

Arming myself with dollar store supplies –

• Two globe hurricanes
  • Approximately 300 plastic spoons
  • A glue gun and glue sticks
  • Spray Paint

I began by removing the handle from the spoons right below the hollow of the spoons. This was the most difficult part of the project – It was more than a little tedious! I then applied a single layer of spoons right side up with an overhang of approximately 1/4 of an inch above the lip of the hurricane globe.

I continued adding spoons in rows, overlapping the previous row all the way down until the entire globe was covered. Although I liked the look in white, I decided to add a little more depth by painting.

I started by painting the entire piece in Rustoleum Dark Brown. When dry, I lightly applied a very thin coat of Rustoleum Canyon Black and then spritzed with Krylon Premium Copper Brilliant.

The end result looks very much like a bronzed metal. I used LED candles as I’m not sure how well this would hold up with a real flame and heat. The light shines softly through the gaps of the hurricane, and highlights the texture created by the overlapping spoons.

All in all, a very good addition to my Thanksgiving display! Not bad for a grand total of $12.50!

Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you see, and you aren’t already, please consider following along!

/ /

• Julia@Happy House and Home

VERY cute idea! I like the spoon art I've seen on Pinterest, but I love yours the best! I love the copper look! Thank you – I'm going to pin and try this. Question – did you used scissors to cut the spoons? šŸ™‚

November 15, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reply
    • Kim Young

Thanks so much, Julia! I used two methods for removing the handles – on the extra cheap plastic spoons I was able to use scissors, which was so quick and easy. On the other type of spoon I used wire cutters, as they were too thick to cut with scissors – this method, not so quick and easy. I would recommend the thinner plastic for ease – once I applied them, it made no difference visually.

November 15, 2013 at 6:05 pm Reply
  • the cape on the corner

using that copper spray really makes it look totally unlike a diy piece. awesome!

November 18, 2013 at 3:34 pm Reply
  • Kayla @ Home Coming

It turned out beautifully! Great work. Thanks so much for linking up to The DIY'ers!

November 18, 2013 at 9:18 pm Reply
  • Brittnei Washington

Are you serious? I wasn't thinking it would be made out of spoons! This is so awesome! I'm glad your creative juices returned for this one! Thanks for sharing with us at Countdown in Style! Don't forget to stop by Friday to see if you are featured! šŸ™‚

November 19, 2013 at 12:04 am Reply
  • Kim~madeinaday

these hurricanes are soo cute!! Stopping by to let you know I am featuring you tomorrow on Made in a Day! Thanks for linking up!
    Kim

November 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm Reply
  • April @ 100lb Countdown

Beautiful, but I'm not sure that I would have the patience to do it!

Thanks for sharing and linking up with Countdown in Style! Don't forget to come back on Friday to see if you were featured!

~~April~~